FINALLY got a 1991 GT Karakoram K2

Bicycle Addict

Retro Guru
Only wanted one since about '94!!
Only Frame and Fork at this stage?! It is 520km's (around 320miles) away at the moment I should have it by the end of the month.
Hardest thing is going to be trying to find a Shimano U Brake, I do not have any Shimano DX mechs but do have XT and LX so I will be fine there, I can run a Diacompe or modern Exposure U Brake I have until I get a Shimano.
I know where a stem is, will probably run it riser bar - cruisey

Attachments

• 407162814.jpg
    407162814.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,047
It'll be an '89 or a '90, as in '91 the K2 was replaced by the Elite.

Nice frames, I'm looking forward to seeing it built up.

Shimano U-brakes should be pretty easy to find, either have a search in the For Sale section or post an ad in Wanted.

Is the plan to just built it up using as many of the period parts you have and then find others, or are you going to be using some newer parts where necessary to get the style you want?

I have an NOS Shimano Deore XT II U brake in black or a used Dia-Compe one. PM me if interested

Also found a DX one on eBay, item number 111803904576 (UK eBay)

My plan is to build it up with period correct stuff, no need for it to be original for me, I have XT cranks front and rear mechs, I have some XT thumbies though from memory they are 6spd rather than 7spd, I do have some Deore ones that are 7spd though, i also have 2 different sets of XT brake levers and a set of XT shifter/brake lever combos and a set of STX also. So I feel like I am fine there.
Wheels are not an easy one over here, eBay is not really an option as I do not have a PayPal acc, (although have used a guy on here that lives in NZ in a previous situation where a guy in France wanted a sus fork off my Sunn) I do have a 32 hole front with XT hub(Specailized rim) and a 36 hole XT rear hub that I can lace in to a tidy rim, I have a Mavic and a few Arayas so should be fine there.

Mindfreak how much do you want for the XT ll ? I should be able to sort it through a guy on here as explained above, although will need a few weeks as freight and buying of a lot of old hand planes for woodworking have hammered my bank ACC and my wife's patience!?

This forum and everyone involved is awesome!! Pat yourselves on the back one and all!!

Minifreak has managed to get my wife suggesting I buy the U Brake from him, he came back to me with a very cheap offer which I accepted before she changed her mind, in fairness she knows I got rid of a bike a while ago because I got all picky about not want Diacompe part where a Shimano should be yadda yadda . . . .

I think our community here on Retrobike is a good un, cheers.

I keep drooling over this photo like some kinda weirdo, I just want the frame here NOW.

I have been searching for one in my size for the longest time.

I had one in '94 that was stolen as I said above, what I did not say is my step father would not put it down on the insurance claim as I had not locked it up!!!! Yet he claimed for his sunglasses, wallet, tools and car stereo that were taken out of his unlocked car.
He thought losing something that had taken 18 months to save for would teach me a lesson.

Sorry for that but I am really wanting to build that dream bike back up.

Questions on a few things.

Firstly Thanks to Minifreak for his help thus far.

And now,

I have a 36 hole rear XT hub and a 32 hole front, what rims should I run?
Do not want to go all out, but would definitely like to build a linage type wheel set.

XT combined brake shift levers or XT Thumbies 6 x 3 and XT brake levers?

I can access a 150 mm GT stem but wonder if it is too long, considering I will be riding it on road as well?

What bottom bracket should I run wit FC - M730 cranks?

I have a Black XT ll U Brake coming should I try for a set of Black Cantis for the front or run silver that I have?

I want to get a decent condition Kalloy type seat post in polished alloy over black. Seat will be a hard one, should find something.

Help away guys, don''t mind it being a long term build if need be, sourcing parts when funds(wife) allow.

Back