Saracen Kili 1989

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well this was outed on the eBay threadwatch.

Many thanks to MikeMuz for collecting and delivering. Much appreciated fella!

Believe it to be a 1989. There is sadly no 1988 catalogue so if anyone knows the difference in the 88 and 89 I’m all ears.

Awaiting delivery… here’s the pics from the eBay sale thread.

Believe the headset might be rough and bottom bracket definitely looks it:

Fillet braze

These stickers won’t be staying!

The 1989 catalogue has it as a tange prestige fillet brazed frame and forks, so hoping the ride is as good as the 1994 kili, which I regret selling a lot, and was probably the nicest riding bike I’ve ever had (sold on here about 4 years ago).

Picture because.. no reason

Catalogue Spec has all Deore II. Will probably get it going with what I can and rebuild with that as it’s readily available and decent.

1989 Catalogue Available on the Archive Section

I have had a few Kili's and rate them highly. My favourite by far though was the 1994 kili comp:
Picture of my long lost and loved 1994 kili:

What I'm hoping it is not
Last year I salvaged a horrible Saracen kili with a seatpost cut off and hammered down the seatube and that came out great (I think) so hoping this will be equally as nice (but a lot less work). Didn’t feel the love for the e stay as much as I hoped so sold that on, but hoping to bond with this a bit more.

Have just picked this up for my bro Which is a nice 1989 tufftrax. This is a lovely bike now I have decluttered it. He has a thread on here somewhere about it.

And of course have my trusty UU braked trekker as company. My garage is bursting!

Great score on the 'red' Kili.....I trust you'll be getting it re-painted? When I had mine done I used RAL 5018 - looks really nice.

Shame about some of the downgraded parts on this one - but still, £56 quid is worth it for the frame alone, even if it needs a new coat.

BTW I bought a 1993 Kili Elite XTR frame - so very similar to your 1994 Kili. Very nice to hear yours was such a good ride.

In terms of the 89 Kili I really love mine. It is just so nimble and fun to ride. I often ride to work with a colleague on his modern full suss destroyer. I'm so much faster on the climbs he thinks I'm taking EPO......

...At which point I also remind him that my bike cost a tenth of his :-D

Rodrigues":24mm3jze said:
Great score on the 'red' Kili.....I trust you'll be getting it re-painted? When I had mine done I used RAL 5018 - looks really nice.

Shame about some of the downgraded parts on this one - but still, £56 quid is worth it for the frame alone, even if it needs a new coat.

BTW I bought a 1993 Kili Elite XTR frame - so very similar to your 1994 Kili. Very nice to hear yours was such a good ride.

In terms of the 89 Kili I really love mine. It is just so nimble and fun to ride. I often ride to work with a colleague on his modern full suss destroyer. I'm so much faster on the climbs he thinks I'm taking EPO......

...At which point I also remind him that my bike cost a tenth of his :-D

Yeah a repaint at some stage is on the cards - but I will likely build it first and see how I get on. I can't afford a proper paint job as such really, so it would be a powdercoat - so thanks for the RAL code. Depends also on the paint at the moment, if that's a powdercoat and it looks decent, it will do for a while.

Yeah the parts are a bit off. I will go Deore II as mentioned I expect. Have to have a dig around what spares I have as sold most of my spares and now need to buy them back for twice what I sold them for.

I'm glad to hear yours rides so well, and yes, my 94 was a brilliant bike, so you should really like the Kili XTR - same frame I believe.

Downtube cable stop says 1988 as its the same as DSP's Kili here

88-Kili-Flyer-02.jpg

Back