1995 Mantis Flying V - Candy Red with silver/gold flake

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I didn't need another project but this was one of the frame was on my list. I drooled over one of these things at the bike show when I was 15 with the rest of my buddies. It was candy red and more expensive than all our stumpys, fusions, and thin blue lines combined. Post Cunningham I know, but I didn't know or care in 1995 :D

I assume it's a 1995 Mantis Flying V. It has an odd twist though. The cable routing is all different, and no cantilever noodle. It could be custom ordered as its all original with no evidence of modification. It has a seemingly lower s# than every V I have see online.

I think it could have been special built for Maguras. I wouldn't run a brake cable through that top guide. Anyone seen one like it? I may modify the routing a bit ... I don't like how the front derailleur cable fits.

Re: 1995 Mantis Flying V - maybe a custom order

I love these frames ... on my list too ... looking forwards to seeing what you do with it

Should be pretty fun to build. The mid 90s had tons of blingy bits and I think this one will get a lot of that treatment. I started with some flashy bikes than have gone through some more classic builds recently. This one will be a lot more wild.

Re:

It can't be for Magura as a Magura line wouldn't fit through the noodle type guide.

Cool frame though, what fork are you thinking of? Judy?

Re: Re:

CTK":3nu62orx said:
It can't be for Magura as a Magura line wouldn't fit through the noodle type guide.

Cool frame though, what fork are you thinking of? Judy?

That lower noodle essentially leads to nowhere. If you run a front derailleur you can't run any cable braking using the existing cable stops. I had the frame looked over and we were scratching our heads. The only thing we could come up with was that the pull off the front derailleur was changed to top so a Magura line could follow it to the rear possiblly clamped to it. That would mean that lower noodle was ignored completely. Assuming Mantis' builder wouldn't make a custom noodle plate guide that's was our best guess.

I may still makes some mods to it to make it work better.

As far as a fork goes I have a bunch of options, but I am leaning towards a Rockshox Judy FSX. I have a NOS marzocchi xc600 and a few Judy forks, but the FSX would be the right choice for the look I want.

Re:

Its a puzzle! Basically its missing the welded on noodles isn't it? One for the FD and another for rear brake. Could ot be used for V brakes as is?

How would you modify routing?

Judy FSX is the perfect fork :cool:

CTK":35vpnokj said:
Its a puzzle! Basically its missing the welded on noodles isn't it? One for the FD and another for rear brake. Could ot be used for V brakes as is?

How would you modify routing?

Judy FSX is the perfect fork :cool:

Yeah that's about it. I could go v brakes as is if I pair the front derailleur cable up.

I have a couple of options for modification:

- I could re route the front derailleur cable like a stock Flying V and either run v brakes or add a cable hanger for cantilevers.
- I could modify both lower cable guides for either v or Magura brakes.

I am leaning to toward option 2. I was playing with it and I think that is the best option for a clean look. I like V brakes for simplicity but I have never built a bike with Maguras and I do like variety.

The FSX for is a fav. Looks awesome and works really well. I still like the old mag21 the best but the Judy is a close 2nd.

Re:

I bought a mantis frame awhile back. different model to this one.
story went seat tube cracked and needed replacing. owner sent it
back to mantis for repairs. when it came back to him they hadn't replaced
all the cable stops, noodling and front derailleur wheel threaded insert.
all this stuff was missing. had only done 1/2 the job. possibly factory
quality control is an issue there. just a thought.

Retro_Roy":1wywf3w6 said:
I bought a mantis frame awhile back. different model to this one.
story went seat tube cracked and needed replacing. owner sent it
back to mantis for repairs. when it came back to him they hadn't replaced
all the cable stops, noodling and front derailleur wheel threaded insert.
all this stuff was missing. had only done 1/2 the job. possibly factory
quality control is an issue there. just a thought.

It doesn't look repaired but it could be. It's going to Bisegal this week to have Malcolm give me his expertise. He'll know for sure.

What model of mantis did you have? Was it post Cunningham?

Looks like you got one of the frames that was never finished and then sold years later when the factory/warehouse unloaded whatever they had left hiding in the corners.

It may or may not be missing the brake noodle. I've seen others without one. It's definitly missing the front derailleur cable stop(s) on the frame.

Also the Cunningham era rear cable guide set was likely added later. The correct guide for that "C" frame would have just been 3 simple loops, not the bent tubing.

Back