Saracen Tufftrax.....from some time in the late 1980's

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Haven't had a Retrobike for a while as a few long long projects just didn't get off the ground and I have been using my newer bikes. However I wanted another retro ride and has been waiting patiently.

This came up local pick up only on eBay. Not a terrible advert but no mention of model or spec and only one poor quality photo to show it. Anyway, auction ran and I won for £37.

Coomber picked it up for me today and has removed a horrendous gel seat and some plastic horrendous guards and I'm left with this beauty. Literally immaculate - hardly any use, could almost pass as NOS. I love it already!

Excuse my brothers poor quality pictures! Better ones will be taken in due course :D

Re:

1989. The 1990 Tufftrax is magenta.

I know. I have both.

Bargain that one at £37. Nearly a pound for every inch.

Re:

The first decent bike I ever bought. Worked all through the summer holidays to afford one. I thought I'd paid £399 for mine but someone posted a similar year price list and the tuff trax was £299.

Lent mine to a mate and it got stolen from his shed. Was gutted.

Re:

Those cheng tyres will be er... interesting in the mud this winter.

For those who missed the eBay watch thread on this, prior to me changing the seat and delivering it to superstu it looked a little different:

Doubt it's seen 100 miles in it's life. No grease anywhere, no mud, looks like mudguards and tat were fitted and it was left indoors for 25 years.

Ha - that looks like all the stuff I'd fitted to mine too.

Definitely had one of those frame bags - though mine saw a lot more than 100 miles in its time with me.

I get the triangle bag, but educate me please (!) what is the purpose of the top tube wrap? To ease carrying the bike up a mountain?

Back