Pace RC200 F5, the long and winding road

badnewsbrown13

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
First of all I'd just like to apologise for the delay in some sort of build/post build thread since I bought it way back at the start of '14, but hopefully this will make up for it.

Ok, so the back story. I was on here around 18mths ago looking for stuff for a different project and I saw a link for a silver Pace. It was a complete build but the previous owners hadn't done it many favours. It got my interest and I had a nosey (as I'm sure we all do with various adverts), I watched it with about 3hrs to go and headed the 3hr drive back to work. On stopping at a services my Ebay alert went off saying there was only a few mins left and no bidders so for some unknown reason I threw in a daft bid. I won :facepalm: . A few messages back and forward to the seller and I made my way up the A1 for a 5hr drive all the way up to Kirkbymoorside a few weeks later. On arrival I was met at the seller's house, where the bike was outside ready for me and what a beaut she was, but oh my god she was in an absolute state, covered in 20yr old motorbike oil used to lube the chain, dirt, parcel tape (don't ask) and standard sheep shit. Into the car she went and we were both happy.
The story doesn't end there though. Once inside for a welcoming cuppa they told me that was one of two they had for sale, now I was already mega happy with the one in the car thinking I was king of the world picking up the frame I'd been dreaming of since I was a kid, but being told there was another in the shed possibly up for grabs I got excited.
It seems the other had been up for auction at the same time as the first (the silver) but the bloke who had won it had mysteriously become unavailable and uncontactable after a couple of weeks of trying. What a bloody fool he was!! I was taken to the barn and there infront of me was an absolutely gorgeous blue anodised RC200 F5. I nearly had a trouser accident. It was in the same state as the silver F5 but this one had a better build kit as if it could have been a purchase from someone who used to race BITD along with added comfort curly bars, crazy stem adapter and sofa saddle. When they said it could be up for sale if they can't get hold of Mystery Man I naturally enquired with excitement how much and if I went to the bank could I snap their hand off there and then, however, they said they wanted to give Mystery Man another week to get in touch to be fair with him. I accepted that and left my number with them if they wanted to sell.

A few weeks passed and I received a call from an unknown number. It was the lovely sellers asking if I would be interested in the Blue! Another trouser accident opportunity. In the passing few weeks it seems they'd had some more interest and even a visit from Gil to have a look to see what he thought and even maybe a purchase. As is usual, it was at the same time as I had just had the car MOT'd, serviced and new tyres on so as you can guess wasn't in the best situation but having seen the Blue already there was no way I could let it go. We came to an agreement and a couple of weeks later I was back on the A1 for another round of the 5hr Fri traffic up to Kirkbymoorside.

I was now the proud dad to a pair of filthy, grotty, sheep shit and gaffer tape covered RC200 F5's. Not bad for just being a nosey sod.

So, after 18mths of searching, agonising, planning and building it came to the point where I was heading to Mayhem but had nothing to ride as the Modern had let me down with a pair of cracked lower legs. I suddenly realised I'd got a shedload of parts I'd been piling up with help and advice from quite a lot of people on here but had neglected the actual building of them. I seem to have naturally swayed towards building Blue, maybe because she's not a common colour or maybe because I could see how I wanted to go with the build better than the Silver. Does that make me a dad favouring a child?! I'm not answering that. I got my arse in gear and spent one Friday night spannering to get it built for Mayhem and for the ones who were there you may have seen her parked up as she wasn't raced that weekend.

I could actually punch myself really hard, quite often at times. I took screen shots of the adverts and the original states I found Blue and Silver in, plus pics of some parts I had put on them at the beginning of the builds but in true Badnewsbrown fashion I've lost 2 mobiles since their arrival (one after a Who gig in Dec and the other on the A1 after a stop at Wittering services. If anyone wants a slightly soggy HTC there's one just after the slip road somewhere), and all the older and useful photos are now lost as they weren't backed up, so all I have are these on Blue's first ride in Sherwood Pines for a gentle ride to settle her parts in.

It is with pleasure I present Blue.

Frame: Pace RC200 F5
Fork: Pace RC36 (original)

Headset: King NoThreadset (original)
Stem: Pace R45 (in the pics, since swapped for red X-Lite Fly)
Handlebar: Pace Sub 130
Brakes: Paul Motolite
Brake Levers: Paul
Shifters: XTR M950/2 (original)
Front Derailleur: Paul
Rear Derailleur: Proshift
Cassette: Shimano XT M770
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Middleburn RS2
Crank bolts: SRP
Chainrings: Middleburn (modern slick shift)
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Ti
Pedals: Ritchey Ti
Hub Skewers: Unknown Ti (original)
Rims: Mavic 517 Citron
Hub Rear: Hope Ti Glide (original)
Hub Front: Pace (original)
Tyres: Michelin Wildgripper
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Control tech
Seatpost Binder: Pace (original)

Apologies for the link, tried to upload actual photos but keeps telling me they're too big.
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/badne ... t=3&page=1

The red looks great against the blue. Boutique mech alert!
Very cool indeed.
(light bulb of inspiration... scuttles out to garage)

Ta.
I do have a bit of a thing for a touch of red on all my builds, even it it's just bottle cage mounts, call it my signature if you want.
I just thought that it being a fairly uncommon colour I'd make the extra effort and hunt out the tartier parts to give it that extra sparkle, and it seems to have worked. I've had a lot of positive comments from people who have seen it, and it humbles me.

Back