Off Limits

slowdan

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
what do you think about this "low end" 1994's Dawes bike? Frame is crmo reynolds_501 custom butted lugged and brazed (vanadium stays), Geomax_531 fork.
It comes with cantilever brakes and deore groupset.

Is it tough and comfortable enough for touring and riding "old school" mtb? or it's just a nice city bike for communiting?
How much does it worth nowadays?

Attachments

• jhgf.jpg
    jhgf.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 265
These frames are awesome and carry braze ones for touring conversion on rear. The Damage Limitation paint was the toughest on any bike. The ride beautifully. I have a Kickback Comp and the Off Limits. They are lugged and brazed … there are no welds to crack. They ain’t that heavy either.

I definitely wouldn't call it low end. I don't think the prices are very high, because Dawes aren't particularly sought after, but as stated above, the top half of the range are good frames. Definitely up to touring and old school mountainbiking, with the knowledge you're riding a frame fillet-brazed in Egnland.

I remember buying the Kickback Comp in 1994. The build and Damage Limitation paint quality has to be seen to be believed…it had a five year warranty and being a sceptic I took that with pinch of salt….However the bike done thousands of miles off road and the frame stayed rust free to this day. Margam forest and Afan Argoed was something I ride on doorstep and have done so since 1988 two to three times a week when I was younger….Worn out components and rear wheel but the frame is superb. My mate pushed the boat out and bought a fillet brazed Edge in 1996. that’s the same. When I picked up the Off limits cosmetics were dealt with the frame underneath was like new. Inside and out. I recon Dawes peaked and offered some of the best Steel bikes in 90s then the Ally wave swept over and Steel became unfashionable.

Last edited:
Back