Muddy (Rusty) Fox

willbloke

Dirt Disciple
Hi there.
Greetings from sunny Dorset .
Recently picked up this blast from the past .

IMG_2985_zpsam2tjxbr.jpg

It's not going to be a mint resto , just a usable "classic",

Bottom bracket was hanging , but after much swearing , hammers , lots of hammers and much heat it came apart .

IMG_3108_zpsgycuc68i.jpg

Basically . four questions .
Where will I be able to get replacement BB parts ?
The pedal shaft (not sure of terminology) is marked 3P G-2 R . which I think means 119mm taper end to taper end.
I'm guessing (hoping) the fixed cup and adjustable cup and bearings are standard ?

What are the chances of finding tyres similar to the original , orange/tan sidewalls ?

The saddle appears to be kind of leather/suede , what will clean it up and restore/preserve it ?

The original brake levers are there , but the cable adjusters have been robbed off.
I found this pic , I think they should be like this ?

Muddy5.jpg

Are they a standard size ?
Where am I likely to get some ?

Phew ,I think that's everything for now , thanks for looking !

you only need the BB bearings, unless the axle is really pitted. 68mm/ 127mm cartridge BB will go straight in - just the bearings are a standard size and pennies to buy.

Pedals are standard bearings - measure them and again, pennies to buy

plenty of cable adjusters on ebay that will fit. its a standard thread (there are later 10mm sizes for v-brakes)

These should fit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-bike-cycl ... 1235894685

Saddle is a sort of suede affair - never really tried cleaning one.

Amberwall tyres are a bit thin on the ground - you are on your own there

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you Mr Cheese !
Bearings are gone , cups and shaft are pitted so would rather replace the whole lot.
I am trying to avoid a cartridge BB to keep it original-ish if possible .

Thanks for the other tips !

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
legrandefromage":2nbxvdn5 said:
I have the exact same bike in that size and rust so feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Great thanks !

I was beginning to think I was being ignored !

Do you know what year it is ?

Back