1985 Mountain Goat Trials - Old California Steel :)

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Starting a build thread for this old goat. Gonna take my time with it. It's a neat frame with interesting geometry and fit.

I'm debating about the fork. Originally it spec'ed with a tange unicrown. Not a lot of interesting fork options in 1985. I have a 1984 Tange bi plane fork as well.

Not sure what looks better. Thoughts?

That's a newer tange unicrown that I wouldn't use, but it has essentially the same look as the older ones. Ignore the stem (I have a first gen salsa moto). That's a first gen Syncros post, original 1985 turbo saddle, fisher bulge, and Shimano m700/ukai wheelset with original panaracer ibex rubber. I'll probably use most of that.

Thanks MOMBAT :)

Ollie":3lwn1cd9 said:
Really looking forward to this build :cool: .

Bi-plane forks look better IMO.

I think I agree. It's a bit more interesting to look at. Looks more sleek with the tange, but that's not really the look I want.

Re:

The unicrown! … and you'll sale me the biplane :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

24pouces":u5o4lzn2 said:
The unicrown! … and you'll sale me the biplane :mrgreen:

Hahaha ... It's a pretty cool fork.

I'm lucky it's long enough. That Headtube in the Goat is beyond Brodie!

Re:

Haven't updated this in a while. I now have just about every part for it. This Mtn Goat bar/stem combo (from a RB member) is the second last part I need.

What's next? It's headed west to Toxic Labs shortly for a goatly paint job :D

I am still looking for a Log Leaper Bash Guard.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this built up, it should be very special. Did you decide to go with the bi-plane fork?

kingoffootball":q6lgthcs said:
I'm really looking forward to seeing this built up, it should be very special. Did you decide to go with the bi-plane fork?

I found a fillet brazed unicrown for it so I am going to use that. It should be pretty cool when its done :)

Re: Re:

Stylus":32rreoqb said:
this will be killer! :cool:
+1 for the bi plane forks

and what about paint?

Bi plane is cool - brazed fork is really nice to.

Paint will (hopefully) be a classic goat one ;)

Back