South Bound's Ozone Build - Done for now.

South Bound

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Following on from my aborted Funk build (did not love it when I saw it, sold it on), I bought a 17" Ozone from the 'Bay (from a previous RB member). It may be too small, but needed a project to keep me sane. This was the frame that I remember hanging in the LBS in Manchester for £squillions and what I originally wanted. Turned up today and I love it already. Had purple drop outs and decals, which had to be changed as I couldn't live with purple. Frame was in OK condition for age, but needed coating.

Frame: Ozone CO2 17", Powder Coated Blue by ABC Fabrications, Nailsea, Bristol. (EBay)

Fork: Manitou Comp (RetroBike)

Headset: Chris King Devolution, pewter (Aspire Velotech)
Stem: Thomson Elite 25.4 (Ebay)
Handlebar: Bonty/Titec Ti (Shed)
Grips: Clear Yeti (RetroBike)
Barends: X-Lite (Shed)

Brakes: XT Cantis (RetroBike)
Brake Pads: XT (RetroBike)
Brake Cables: XT (CRC)
Cantilever cable hangers: XT (RetroBike)
Brake Levers: Suntour XC Pro (RetroBike)

Shifters: DX Thumbies (RetroBike)
Front Derailleur: M901 XTR (RetroBike)
Rear Derailleur: Deore DX (RetroBike)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Hyperglide 8 Speed (Ebay with wheels)
Chain: KMC (RetroBike)
Cranks: Cooks CBR with Ti dust caps(EBay)
Crank Bolts: TNT Ti (RetroBike)
Chainrings: M'Burn 46T outer, Cooks middle 34T, M'Burn 26T (RetroBike and skip)
Chainring bolts: Ti (Retrobike & New Jersey Cycles)
Bottom Bracket: UN52 (RetroBike)
Pedals: M540 SPD (RetroBike)

Hub Skewers: Hope Silver (Ebay)
Rims: FIR123 (Ebay)
Hubs: Hope Ti, silver (Ebay)
Nipples: N/K
Spokes: N/K
Tyres: Grey Psycho 2 (Ebay)
Tubes: 2 from the shed! (Shed)

Saddle: Flite (RetroBike)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite silver 31.6mm (Ebay)
Seatpost Binder: Silver 34.9 (New Jersey Cycles)

Weight: Irrelevant with me on it!
Cost: Total = £650 including powder coating, but not including the bits I bought that I did not need or got wrong or have changed my mind about...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Is that a 1.25" head tube?

If so, I have a nice polished Answer Atak stem and Manitou Sport forks if you're interested...

Nice try Bob, it is a mighty big headtube, but am going down the spacer route. I have a Slamma Jamma NOS 1 1/8" headset, Thomson stem and a gorgeous set of Mani Comps hot to trot!

South Bound":1fqj4adf said:
Nice try Bob, it is a mighty big headtube, but am going down the spacer route. I have a Slamma Jamma NOS 1 1/8" headset, Thomson stem and a gorgeous set of Mani Comps hot to trot!

Nice...just trying to help out mate.

Looking forward to the build, keep the pics coming.

lol - I just wanna know where all this stuff comes from. I nearly have enough stuff to build the bloody thing!

Thinking about stripping the dropouts and polishing them, depending upon the finish.

Don't know much about seatclamps - do you just get the next highest one and tighten it up? Same with seatposts - looks around 31mm, so should I get a 30.9mm?

Latest posts

Back