King Kahuna Stars ‘n’ Bars!

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
It has been killing me to keep quiet over this exciting news – apart from one other Retrobike member who I shared this with.

This frame was previously discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=330646

Sadly for H1v9a8c8 the frame size didn’t suit, so I managed to persuade him to part with it and ship it to Blighty.

I will indeed write to Kona to see if we can discover more on how a Stars ‘n’ Bars King Kahuna came to be.

I can be fairly certain that it is a 1997. The frame number is K18066 - an 18” frame, serial number 66.

I have most of the build sorted out, although I am yet to decide on which of my many pairs of SIDs to fit and I have a choice of about 4 pairs of wheels.

I will do some mock-up rolling chassis pictures at the weekend and pop the various versions on here.

King%20Kahuna%20SandB_F240915_zpssrj0rvcu.jpg

King%20Kahuna%20SandB_R240915_zpsbdrd0gqo.jpg

King%20Kahuna%20SandB_Bars_zpsrdtxyzmi.jpg

King%20Kahuna%20SandB_Stars_zpsqaerparo.jpg

King%20Kahuna%20SandB_serial_zps3yoizlcq.jpg

Pip.

Re:

:cool: :cool: so she has "landed" :cool: :cool: . I along with others wait with baited breath to the build..."the best does come to those who wait" ;)

Ernie ;)

Re: Re:

Ernie":2fbtv0i6 said:
:cool: :cool: so she has "landed" :cool: :cool: . I along with others wait with baited breath to the build..."the best does come to those who wait" ;)

Ernie ;)

Cheers Ernie,

I've just gone over the exposed titanium on the rear end with 3 grades of Scotch Brite.... it looks more blingy already ;)

Pip.

So so so so so so so cool it's more uber than uber. Well done for getting hold of it. I'm so thankful it's too small for me ;)

I'm very curious and keen to hear what Kona think. They can be a bit sketchy on details so fingers crossed they have something tangible to share.

Like you I'm puzzled by this. It has, as far as I can tell, all the features of a 98 model KK. At 66 that's an early production run which would be really old for a confirmed 97 model. It's not sporting any drilled BB shell (for the cable guide) and of course has all the 98 top tube and top rear triangle routing.

Add in a lack of HH or KK name on the top-tube (for 97 it was a HH with the KK version having that decal on the rear triangle) and of course the paintwork and we have a great mystery on our hands!

The catalogues are a handy but often unreliable source. One thing we know is the A'ha was sold as a frame only in that livery. I'm convinced those were left overs from 97. This however, I reckon is a 98 KK, probably made right at the end of 97 / start of the 98 batch run and custom painted for someone affiliated with Kona - a dealer, friend, distributor - who wisely chose the 2nd best paint scheme ;)

I'm ready to have this theory poo-poo'ed!!

I'm really looking forward to the build. I would be torn between full out stealth M950 XTR or nice and shiny XT M739.

Well done again!

Re:

Al, Thank you for your expansive reply.

The single K pre-fix in the serial number dates this frame as 1997. For 1998 it should have a KK pre-fix.

The 1997 original specification was for Downtube routing for the Rear Mech; the 1997 catalogue (printed late ’96) does indeed show this. However, the frames produced later in the season were altered to all Top Tube routing.

As is well documented, the tubing is Sandvik, but the frames were fabricated by Titanium Sports in Kennewick Washington, and to Kona’s specification. It was still possible to implement the change in the frames built in the Ti Sports factory mid-season.

The Ovalised tubing on this frame is consistent with the ‘97 King Kahuna – The Hei Hei having all round Main Tubes.

As you suggest, it would be cool to discover that the paint job was for someone affiliated with Kona.

I have 3 e-mail addresses for Kona that have all worked for me in the past when I asked some questions, so I have sent off a message with a picture attached to the first in my list.

Cheers, Pip.

Re:

Super super cool. Are there any other shots around of KK's of the year with the same routing as this? I must say haven't seen any.

It's wicked they were a step ahead :)

Re: Re:

al-onestare":18nloqrb said:
Super super cool. Are there any other shots around of KK's of the year with the same routing as this? I must say haven't seen any.

It's wicked they were a step ahead :)

A 1997 with Yellow decals and all Top Tube Routing:

Kingf%20Kahuna%2097_19nds_zpsljxb7pcz.jpg

AND, an example of a KK pre-fix on a 1998:

kingkahuna98_zpsih7eopfo.jpg

Pip.

Back