"Aurora" Mountain Klein

Swede

Gold Trader
Funk Fan
Feedback
View
Since “finishing” the Cannondale I’d been looking for another project but nothing had really caught my imagination/attention. I’d gone off on a blue ano tangent on the Funk and it wasn’t really working; too many different shades plus I wanted to ride it; not have it hanging on the wall.

Q. So what to do?
A. Start accumulating/acquiring parts and hope that something will turn up.
Q. But what parts?
A. More XC9000 (obviously)!

I’d made some progress on a 1989 groupo when this popped up a few weeks ago💡💡 IMG_5913.JPG
Move the Deore XT over to the Funk and use the XC9000 on the Klein...

Hopefully someone can tell me more, for example is it 1988 or 1989? The frame number (can I call it a fuselage, even though it’s a Mountain Klein?) is: 2MBf7 and there’s also a number 30 on the other dropout if that helps.

There’s not much on-line but the “Aurora” paint scheme isn’t listed in the 1989 catalogue but I can’t find an 1988 catalogue to compare against.

I could also do with some suggestions for rims, seat, stem & bars. Was a Mission Control stem/bar combo available in 1”? IMG_5913.JPG IMG_5912.JPG IMG_5908.JPG IMG_5886.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Aurora Mountain Klein

So the number is very high, 3063rd MK built, which would peg it close to 89. However, the 30 stamped on the other dropout indicates 130mm rear spacing which means it predates Shimano XT II which was in 88, so that makes me think 1988.

Excellent frame!

Aurora is my favourite Klein colour scheme. If I fell into a vat of cash I'd have mine done this way.

Re:

Looks very nice Caspar, I was tempted myself when it came up but other things on the boil.

1" MCs are available so that would be very fitting. As for saddle, something chunky I would say as its well pre-Flite days, a black Turbo perhaps? The Avocet would work too I reckon but their quite soft, depends what your used to or prefer of course.

So pretty. Just the nicest colour.

mkozaczek":20zyc9z5 said:
So the number is very high, 3063rd MK built, which would peg it close to 89. However, the 30 stamped on the other dropout indicates 130mm rear spacing which means it predates Shimano XT II which was in 88, so that makes me think 1988.

Excellent frame!

I have 2M992 in the basement. I had always assumed it was a 1987 or so, but I never got the Klein coding system. It has a U/Roller brake on the lower rear stays,spinner fork, and the 2nd Gen (??) cable routing below the year stay.

Re:

Very very nice. I was so tempted myself but I'm glad somebody else got it.

Can't wait to see what you do with it...

Re:

mkozaczek":214h9nin said:

Excellent frame!
Perfect, thanks for the info. I guess running ’89 Suntour isn’t going to bother people too much(?) and “frame” it is…

Vinevo":214h9nin said:
1" MCs are available so that would be very fitting. As for saddle, something chunky I would say as its well pre-Flite days, a black Turbo perhaps? The Avocet would work too I reckon but their quite soft, depends what your used to or prefer of course.
I thought so too and there was a set on eBay a few weeks ago, so I guess they’re not too hard to come by?

I'm putting a Turbo on the Funk, so I’d like to try something a different. I could only find one photo from BITD of this bike (see below) and it looks to be sporting a Vetta Gel but I’ve got a Vetta on the ‘dale, so maybe an Avocet would be good choice. Do you have any recommendations?

mkozaczek":214h9nin said:
Too early for an MC1
Hmmmm, they are very nice though. I’m not trying to be too year specific and the frame already predates the groupo, so how many years out would I be if I got one?

jimi911":214h9nin said:
I have 2M992 in the basement. I had always assumed it was a 1987 or so, but I never got the Klein coding system. It has a U/Roller brake on the lower rear stays,spinner fork, and the 2nd Gen (??) cable routing below the year stay.
I guess yours isn't too dissimilar to this one on eBay at the moment? But what’s 2G cable routing?

Attachments

• bike_tech_faltblatt_seite_2_3_xl.jpg
    bike_tech_faltblatt_seite_2_3_xl.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 3,251
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

Swede":142qw74l said:
mkozaczek":142qw74l said:

Excellent frame!
Perfect, thanks for the info. I guess running ’89 Suntour isn’t going to bother people too much(?) and “frame” it is…

Vinevo":142qw74l said:
I thought so too and there was a set on eBay a few weeks ago, so I guess they’re not too hard to come by?

I'm putting a Turbo on the Funk, so I’d like to try something a different. I could only find one photo from BITD of this bike (see below) and it looks to be sporting a Vetta Gel but I’ve got a Vetta on the ‘dale, so maybe an Avocet would be good choice. Do you have any recommendations?

mkozaczek":142qw74l said:
Too early for an MC1
Hmmmm, they are very nice though. I’m not trying to be too year specific and the frame already predates the groupo, so how many years out would I be if I got one?

jimi911":142qw74l said:
I guess yours isn't too dissimilar to this one on eBay at the moment? But what’s 2G cable routing?

That is the same frame generation as mine. I wish mine looked like that though. Mine is bare metal and a size smaller. It's faaaaar down rebuild list.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back