Offroad Proflex 853 - 1993 full restoration complete!

leeacashman

Retro Newbie
Evening all!

I'm new to the forum, although I've visited the site itself many times in the past.
I've just finished fully restoring a 1993 Offroad Proflex 853 and thought I'd share the images with you all to see what you think? Be gentle with me - I'm 40 years old and this is my first bike restoration!

This was the bike when I bought it. Structurally sound, but a bit battered:

So I stripped it right down, cleaned everything meticulously (except the tyres! They'll be replaced next week. Oh, and definitely need a new seat-post) and gave the frame a full respray in Ford Monza Electric Blue, and gloss black.

Stickers were impossible to source, so with 20 years of graphic design experience I made my own! Designed and printed on 7 year outdoor vinyl, then HAND CUT and applied. Patience... Just gotta add a few little details like some old-school bar ends, and she's done.

Anyway, here's the finished article! Hope you like it. If anyone wants a copy of the artwork for their own stickers please let me know and I will send it over to you. Cheers!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,060
  • After1.jpg
    After1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,059
  • After2.jpg
    After2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,059
  • After3.jpg
    After3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,059
  • After4.jpg
    After4.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,059
indeed!!!! looks ace in blue, almost factory :) well done

ps, what size is the seatpost? struggling to get accurate dims for my 862 ;)

Thanks for the comments! I'm really chuffed with the finish - particularly as it was done by hand with rattle-cans! Didn't expect it to come up so well. I highly recommend U-Pol lacquer - that stuff is awesome! Longun, I believe the seatpost is a 28.0, but I will check it tomorrow and let you know.

cheers, i believed mine to be 28 but it isnt, mines bigger. will check u-pol out , wouldnt mind painting mine if it rides as cool as it looks :)

tell me about it lol, if you need a new black 28.0 post, give a shout, ive one sat doing nowt in a bag in the workshop

cheers for checking though :)

Definitely interested in that mate! How much do you want for it, including postage to Norfolk?

Sorry - ignore the above! Just been given one by a mate. Thanks anyway! Lee

That looks really good.

The only other Pro-Flex I've seen was my mate's (the guy I bought my P7 off) and his had hydraulic rim brakes.

He ended up giving the bike to me, but I binned it ( :oops: ) as it had no wheels and I had no need for it and the elastomers had to be put in boiling water before every ride.

Still looked cool though.

Like this but with blue forks:

337_eb66b72e0c5c0dadde4a5b8a08b02800

Latest posts

Back