Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave? .... SHES ALIVE !!!

enc

Kona Fan
You may have read my other thread, in which I was trying to decide what to do with this very tired 1991 Kona Explosif. Despite it looking extremely rough, it rides really nice. After having had a couple of sessions on it, the only niggles found are a sticking front brake and slight play in the BB . I think it's a sealed type.... can these be adjusted ?

Ive decided for now, to keep it complete.
The Idea is to keep this as close to Zero budget as possible... as it'll be mainly a cosmetic restoration i have nearly everything required in stock.

From the next field…the bike doesn't look too bad :LOL:

but look a little closer ....

Last edited:
Re:

23_zpswlnugofr.jpg
[/url]photobucket.com/albums/c392/golfstuff/Kona/Kona%20Explosif/22_zpswcqrhcfz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

WTF happened here ?

Re:

Looks like a mostly oil and wirewool clean up job, the only thing that is causing a little concern in my mind is the amount of corrosion on those bars :shock:

As for the BB sounds like the cages on the ball bearings have broken but if things come apart okay that should be no problem just replace with loose bearings ;)

Reactions: enc
Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":239aqgoe said:
Looks like a mostly oil and wirewool clean up job, the only thing that is causing a little concern in my mind is the amount of corrosion on those bars :shock:

As for the BB sounds like the cages on the ball bearings have broken but if things come apart okay that should be no problem just replace with loose bearings ;)

yeah the bars :shock: :LOL: ive never seen anything like it

they are black powder coated aluminum. the powder coatings flaked in place. i could repaint them black or polish the ally. as the bike has a black stem and forks i think polished alloy night look a bit out of place so ill probably repaint them.

hope your right about the BB

cheers

Re: Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave !?

It's had an outside life. Ranging free under a downpipe or something.

Amazed the Impact headset survived this long - bitd mine died on both the 91 Cindercone and the 92 Explosif pro within not so long.

Back