Kona Kaos: 88/89 Cinder Cone and Fire Mountain

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Evening all :) Time for the next projects which are both Konas: I have a wonderful Cinder Cone from Ant Stark - a very generous Karma donation, and a ( very inexpensive - practically free ) Fire Mountain from another RBer. Both are in Splatter finish, the CC a 19 and the FM an 18 - both fit me fine, despite my small dimensions.
I have different plans for each one: the Fire Mountain is going to be a retro tourer, and the Cinder Cone is going to be a more sophisticated build: as far as possible original equipment, APART from the fork. I remember that ( I think ) Mountain Goat would custom spray your Sus Fork to match your frame, so I reckon it'd be cool to have a very early fork on it and to spray ( And splatter ) it to match.
Hence this one will be a longer term project. I currently have about half the stuff I need for it and working on that. Also I'll be touching up the frame to make it all spiffy.

The Fire Mountain however will be a quicker build, and I'll be using a bit of a mishmash. I'm going to make it into the sort of bike a keen tourer and slightly less keen fashion victim on a budget would have owned in the early nineties, having had the bike from new but added stuff that he came across in his LBS or saw in the mags and though "I NEED that! It's FLOURO!!"

Then I'm going to do a C to C on it :)

So:
I'll get the frame built up with 300lx ( Thanks to Kaz for some of that!) and a nice pair of (mostly) contemporary budget wheels - though I am considering black ano rims...
I have a pair of Onza Flouro Green L bends ( sooooo 90s )
and just got a flouro rack for it. Cable outers will be...yep flouro green and I am toying with the idea of a purple seatpost. Stem and bars will be original, and I'll be looking for some retro luggage to go on it.
Basically it'll look like it rode through an exploding LBS in 1991.
Here are the frames:

konakaos_zpspaslsfpc.jpg

Re: Kona Kaos: 88/89 Cinder Cone and Fire Mountain.

It begins: today I faffed a bit with the Fire Mountain: installed nice new headset and bottom bracket, period correct chainset ( Thanks Kaz) rear mech and, er...Flexstem. Yes, I went there. I mocked it up with it's original bar, some battered flouro bar ends and flouro rack, and a new but Ano Purple seatpost.
This is not going to be a subtle build, but it'll look dead 1991.

fifi1_zpsrnhcq6qd.jpg

well this is a proper boys toy room if ever there was one :shock: Airfix kits, Daleks, DVD's... wonder what the top shelf ones are :roll: :LOL:

fifi1_zpsrnhcq6qd.jpg

Er....Harry Potter 1-8, Neds, Doomsday, Fight club and Star Trek... :facepalm: :facepalm:
Disappointing really.
The good daleks are out in the workshop:

dalek5_zps21da809e.jpg

Well i'm more jealous than intersted or was it more the other way round :roll: any way i'm putting my feet up with a brew while i watch with great expectations ;) .

Cheers Folks :D
Here's how she is now, just waiting for grips ( got some foamies on order ) and I need to find some mounting strips for the carrier onto the seatstay braze-ons. The gears work great, there's a bit of a step in the rear rim that needs smoothing down but I think it'll be a nice ride on it's Continental semi slicks.

Sadly I think she is gonna have to go - I am running out of room...Gonna finish her and check out her capabilities first though :)

Fifialpha_zpsl6pbgmpa.jpg

That's a real nice ride and i just love all that colour it just looks well wicked :cool: but i can't get my head round you selling it so soon but if your stuck for room then it can't be helped sadly ..

Back