My '96 GT LTS - some pics, a video, and questions

Romulus90

Retro Newbie
When I was a kid I rode Cannondale and my dad bought a LTS frame and had our local shop build it up with full XTR, Judy SL fork, White Industries hubs, Mavic 217 rims, and some awesome 90s Kore components.

I got out of riding, sold my bike, and my dad hung his GT LTS in his basement for the last 15 years or so.. Lately I've been itching to ride mountain again so he offered to give me his GT. I decided to take it, but didn't realize the toll time has taken on the bike (he never really rode it that hard).

Originally, I wanted to keep all the original components (mainly before I realized a shop in his town had taken off the original XTR crank and replaced it with an Alivio unit when he took it in for some new cables, fork replacement, and some other freshening about 5 years ago). That sucks, but it's in the past. At this point, I'm just as willing to keep the current components or move to new XTR stuff, minus disk brakes since I don't want to mess with drilling the frame for a rear disk.

So, here are the pictures with some questions below..
(I know some of the cables are loose in the pics.. I took this midway through working on it)

bike1.jpg

bike.jpg

bike3.jpg

https://youtu.be/mXNIX9O77fI

Obviously the rear rim is shot with two spokes pulling through. Also, I *cannot* get the sprocket off of the free hub. Is the wobble possibly from the hub, or just the sprocket mounted incorrectly? The wheel itself doesn't wobble. I suppose it's hard to say, but I just haven't seen this before.

I've tried to adjust the derailleurs as much as possible, but the chain is skipping off of the lower pulley and I can't figure out why other than it being bent.. Argh.

I see two routes to take..

1) keep all current components, but buy a new rear rim and keep trying to get the original components in perfect working order (I've soaked and scrubbed the rapidfire shifters & derailleurs.. they're clean so I'm not sure why I can't get the bike shifting nicely)

2) Buy new 10 speed components, a 2-ring crank, budget wheels (to keep v-brakes) and sell old XTR stuff to offset the cost.

Thanks for any ideas.

Lovely bike you have there and in great condition! If it where mine id stick a pair of 96 Rock Shock Judy SL's and restore it to the full XTR 951 Group set. The Hubs are nice so maybe just get some new Mavic 217's ( Gold or Ceramic). Thats just me ;) But at the end of the day build it to your own style and ride that suits your requirements. Good luck with the build!

:facepalm:

So I've had more issues lately with the components.. As much as I'd like to restore it to all original parts, I think it's just going to be easier to throw a new 10spd groupset on it and ride.

Will I have any fitment issues with this setup?

XT M785 groupset (brake levers/shifters, v-brakes, crank, chain, F/R derailleurs)
Mavic crossride UB wheelset

I'm shocked at the lack of wheel options, but I suppose rim brakes are almost dead.. The Mavics are only $200 USD, so that will keep the cost down overall.

Back