regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
FINISHED PICS ON PAGE 9 HERE

Intro
It's been almost a year since I decided to look for a 91 Al-Mega DX (see my newbie intro post HERE for the reasons) and I've recently found a very good example on eBay in Poland.
First few images show it as it looked "out of the box" which is in fairly good condition. Mostly original parts that haven't seen much wear (if the mechs and chainset are anything to go by!) but the frame has some typical signs of wear'n'tear. Structurally, all looks good!
I've got a few bits from my old original bike (both originals and upgrades) to put onto this one, plus some recently-sourced purchases from this forum and eBay.
Once it's had an overhaul (to whatever extent) it WILL be ridden - I've got another bike as a garage queen so this project is all about recapturing my youth, restoring this bike to a once-former glory of my old bike and taking that whole vision beyond what I could've achieved as a teen!
I've got a new set of reproduction decals being made by Gil, as I'll probably strip the frame and repaint it.
I've already begun the process of removing the various components but lack a BB removal tool and headset press (or the expertise to use either!) so my local bike shop will be getting a visit soon to help on this.
I'm going to shim the headtube to use 1 1/8" forks, stem and headset (only the latter I need to source) and it'll be threadless.
Parts i still need are:
original Alpinestars seat collar
Magura service kit to install my old HS-22s
Headset reducer and a headset
A U.S.E. alloy seatpost and Flite (I've lost the ones off mine!)
Tidy pair of QR skewers
Wish me luck and I hope you enjoy following this thread!
Regan

As it arrived...

Strip down...

SPEC SHEET:
Frame: 1991 ALPINESTARS USA AL-MEGA DX, 17.5"
Repainted by ARGOS RACING CYCLES, Bristol
Headtube reinforcement gusset (à la late-91/92 Al-Mega) welded on by ARGOS
Replacement decals (custom spec for this build) from Gil_m @ Retrodecals (gil@thecycleshed.co.uk)

Fork: 1995 RockShox Judy XC, repainted by Argos. NOS crown & steerer. Ti bolts, NOS canti-hanger brace, NOS Kronos medium weight springs.

Headset: NOS Chris King NoThreadSet Devolution
Stem: Answer A•TAC 135mm 1⅛" Ahead, replacement decals also from Gil_m
Handlebar: NOS Answer TaperLite 3° Neon Yellow
Grips: New ODI Attack

Brakes: NOS Shimano BR-M650 Cantilevers
Brake Pads: NOS Shimano M-System
Brake Cables: NOS Shimano 6mm outer SLR, 2mm inner SLR
Cantilever cable hangers: NOS Shimano A/73 & B/84
Brake Levers/Shifters: NOS Shimano Deore DX RapidFire Plus STI-M075
Front Derailleur: NOS Shimano Deore DX FD-M650 1 ¼" Bolt-on (with special Alpinestars frame fixing nut from Rampage aka Chris @ Intrincycle)
Rear Derailleur: NOS Shimano Deore DX RD-M650 (SS)
Derailleur Cables: NOS Shimano SIS-SP
Cassette: NOS Shimano CS-HG70 12-28T
Chain: NOS Shimano CN-HG91
Cranks: NOS Shimano Deore DX FC-MT60 175mm
Crank Bolts: NOS Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG 46/36/24T
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN71 68/122.5mm
Pedals: NOS Shimano PD-M525 SPD

Hub Skewers: Ringlé Holey-replica Ti Skewers from Raymond_mole
Rims: NOS Ritchey Vantage Comp 32H 6061 T6, 415grams (with OE-spec replacement decals I had made)
Hubs: NOS HB-M650 & FH-M650 32H
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: DT Swiss Double Butted Stainless
Tyres: Ritchey Megabite Z-Max
Tubes: New Continental Conti Tube 1.75" Presta

Saddle: NOS Avocet O2 AirGel 50R Titanium
Seatpost: New Ritchey Classic Aluminium Silver
Seatpost Binder: NOS Ringlé 34.9mm (1⅜") Collar and TiStix quick release.

Weight: Approx 26½lbs (measured on a suitcase hanger-scale, so hardly accurate, but it's lighter than my rigid XT model :) )

Re: 91 Al-Mega DX project

Glad it got there ok Regan.

Chair pulled up cup of cha in hand

Tc":15lxzu4b said:
Glad it got there ok Regan.

Chair pulled up cup of cha in hand

Thanks Tony! Frame is now stripped bare and it's off to Bristol tomorrow to Argos to be booked in for a paint job. Going original, nothing outrageous! Gil's decals turned up today and I'm chuffed to bits with them. I made a few tweaks to get them exactly how I wanted, so if my Al-Mega is ever parked up next to another refurbed model of the same vintage also wearing a set of Gil's stickers, I'll still be able to tell mine apart! :p :cool:
Just gotta decide what I'm doing with the front end now. I've just received a 1 1/4" Judy fork crown/steerer in mint condition with a vgc Dia Compe Aheadset attached. However I've also just bought a headset reducer because I've got a tidy silver A-Tac stem in 1 1/8" that I was going to fit with the Judys! Dilemma time... :facepalm:
Reduce it and fit the A-Tac stem but go and buy a 1 1/8" Chris King? Or stay 1 1/4" and try and find another A-Tac to fit? :?:

Gil's decals:

Looking like a great project. I have a USE seat post that may be of use to you in my sale thread. Got a karma set of 3 silver QR skewers too. Let me know if interested.

Minifreak":3md958n4 said:
Looking like a great project. I have a USE seat post that may be of use to you in my sale thread. Got a karma set of 3 silver QR skewers too. Let me know if interested.

Thanks - I shall take a look and PM you :)

Re:

I have an atac 150mm silver a-head stem if you are interested pm me. It's in used but slightly shiney condition 11/4

Re: Re:

clockd":2k1fgcu9 said:
I have an atac 150mm silver a-head stem if you are interested pm me. It's in used but slightly shiney condition 11/4

Ahhh I'm devastated because of that was between 125 & 135mm I would snap it up! 150 will be too long though. The 1 1/8" Atac I've got cooking is 135 so would ultimately look for a straight swap with someone IF they had the 1 1/4"

Back