1988-1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzard Slope/Team - DONE P8

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I picked this up in the spring and have been putting parts away for it for the past several months.

1988-89 Rocky Mountain Blizzard Team/Slope. As I have been told, this was RM's production handmade in BC frame. There are not many of these. All prestige frame and fork and welded up by one of RM's welders (post Brodie, maybe DeKerf or ?). There are way more of the Japanese built Avalanche and standard Blizzard around. If you have one and want to see if it's made in Canada you can tell by the 4 digit one letter serial number or the sizing. The Team/Slope came in 16.5", 18", and 19.5" centre to top. [Japanese?] Blizzards had 4 different sizes, but were built with all lower grade tubing and a lesser fork. I could be wrong on all that, but so far, it seems to all add up.

The hold up to starting this was finding a Syncros 1" First Gen stem. I found one, than two more in the period of about 2 weeks. Peaks and valleys. The one at the bottom is the first of the first generations with the different decal material. I'll keep it as is with patina. The other two will be freshened.

The early blizzards came in 3-4 paint variations. White and red fade, white and black, white and granite, and I'm told there were a few custom painted ones. I'm going black and white. I like the look of it :) Back to Quy I go ... Hopefully with more than just this frame and some bits.

Re: 1988-1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzard Slope/Team

Nice to see this build getting started !
I have the 88 that you have pictured with a rider onboard.

For interests sake... it is:
Tange prestige (Team/Slope)
19.5"
serial number is: T7F00095

Re:

You could try messaging Chris Dekerf for info, he visited the factory way back when to learn stuff etc (I think he mentioned it somewhere).
So techniques will have come from their as that's their style stay seat tube joint.

It'll also have been the last years he was there. ('89). He seems to have a good memeroy about the bikes he made.

Give him a sweetener, maybe purchase a nice Dekerf of him ;-)

That stems a bit new for the build I would have thought if period but what else is on the plan?

redgunnar":27fetwi6 said:
Nice to see this build getting started !
I have the 88 that you have pictured with a rider onboard.

For interests sake... it is:
Tange prestige (Team/Slope)
19.5"
serial number is: T7F00095

Hmmm the plot thickens than. Def a team from the sizing. Different seriel number. Too bad RM didn't keep their records.

Could you post a pic? I'd love to see it for reference on this build. Gil is creating decals for it if you need them.

FluffyChicken":27fetwi6 said:
You could try messaging Chris Dekerf for info, he visited the factory way back when to learn stuff etc (I think he mentioned it somewhere).
So techniques will have come from their as that's their style stay seat tube joint.

It'll also have been the last years he was there. ('89). He seems to have a good memeroy about the bikes he made.

Give him a sweetener, maybe purchase a nice Dekerf of him ;-)

That stems a bit new for the build I would have thought if period but what else is on the plan?

Hahaha. I'll try. Ask that is ... Maybe not buy a bike :D

The first generation Cattleprod stems were around in 1989 according to Mombat. It should be right in the sweetspot. I've seen a few 87-89 Brodie's and RMs kitted out with first generation Syncros so they may have been around a bit earlier than 1989 (at least the posts and stems).

I have a bunch of very nice and NOS Shimano XT 730 to go on it for components. U brakes front and rear. Nothing fancy as not at lot was around at the time. Lots of white, black, and silver.

I'm going to take a swing and rebuilding a BLT lighting system for it to for some fun.

Here's a shot of the 88 and thanks for the mention of decals by Gil.

Attachments

• 88 Blizzard.jpg
    88 Blizzard.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,633

Great looking bike! I am glad I'm going with the black and white. It looks so much better.

It's interesting to see the little paint changes were the black cuts off on yours compacted to others. All a little a different ... Different is good :)

Interesting comment from DeKerf. RM only said the Avalanche was Japanese made. Perhaps they were fibbing a bit ;)

Latest posts

Back