Specialized Rockhopper - 1994

TonyMerryfield

Retro Guru
Specialized Rockhopper - 1994

If bikes had superhero pseudonym's then this would be 'The Commuter' - its daily disguise is a thick sludge of oil and crap off the roads, but when need be it reveals its true identity:

IMG_20150813_183733286.jpg

IMG_20150813_183755974.jpg

IMG_20150813_183745948.jpg

IMG_20150813_183823197.jpg

I've had this for several years and it has led a much unloved existance; in the rain at the station, in the hall, in the shed... it never gets any Strava time, even though I use this bike 5 out of 7 days a week.

Enjoy!

Okay, I've relented and decided to show some love to the Specialized. The plan is:

1. Orange/FIR rims built on STX RC hubs (thanks ibob)
2. Schwalbe amber wall City Jet tyres
3. Charge Spoon saddle in red
4. Ritchey seatpost black
5. SRAM PG730 7 Speed MTB Cassette + Chain Bundle
6. SRAM X4 7 Speed Rear Mech
7. SRAM X3 7 Speed Trigger Shifter

Also while I'm doing this, new cables & red outers - might be overdoing the red slightly.

Bike is really nice, congratulations. I see many bikes on the "work bikes" post that do not look very commuter-worthy to me (albeit quite nice) but yours is definitely a city beast.

If the components work, I would leave it as it is. You said it's a commuter, and the nicer components it has, the most anxious you will be whenever you leave it locked on the street.

Whenever something breaks, then yes, upgrade to something nicer. But on the meantime, I would rather invest the money in full mudguards. And since you seem to have an extra set of wheels already, I would keep both sets, so you can play with your options: one set with slicks and the other with studded tires, or with winter tires, etc.

And your bike would double as nice touring bike for long trips if you want, it has the right geometry and all relevant extras.

I hear what you're saying Titiritero.

I'm doing these upgrades fairly reluctantly if I'm honest. The drivetrain is the same stuff from new and is well worn; even a LBS service only really gave me 5 or so working gears as the others slipped on the cassette too often under load to trust them. As for the wheels/tyres, they are shot to bits.

I do like this bike but I have others that I'd rather spend quality time on :oops: my Cannondale for instance has a rack on the back and modern drivetrain. If I have to go 10 miles or more then that is generally the one I choose. As for anxiety; I have a good lock or two and CCTV at the station - besides, there are so many modern bikes with combo locks there I doubt they'd spend the extra effort freeing mine :D

I'll take some more pics once she's been overhauled.

Back