1995 GT LTS Build

Hey All!

So i decided to started this build thread with pics and documenting the build from start to finish. I have a load of other builds going on at various stages so seeing as thou this is the latest purchase (last week) i thought i start this the right way. I managed to get a great deal off the vendor with a frame only.

As this is the 1st Gen LTS i thought id either to a race spec bike (As ridden by Nicolas Vouliaz) or to do a DH Race spec with little differences and not 100% OEM.

AZVNnWs.jpg

vl9qhpe.jpg

The frame has no dents cracks and very little chain suck according to the vendor and i hope thats the case when it arrives in a couple days. I looks very dull so will need a serious wet sand and polish. So first port of call will of course to give her a good clean, inspect and strip her down. Fingers crossed!

Re: 1995 GT LTS Build - Start to Finish ;)

So the LTS arrived this morning... Badly Packaged...

AQFSw4O.jpg

Ill be taking it out of the box for a good scrub with MUC-OFF, Fairy Liquid and a tooth brush later.

Ok so got home late last night and started the initial clean and decal removal. So the damage report is that there are two small dings and load of chain suck (So ill have to replace the chain stays which is no biggie). I have given the front end a degrease and an initial polish to see the full extent of the condition. Looks like ill have to give it a good wet sand... The Ti linkage is as good as new and the upper rear linkage is in good knick. The main upper and bottom pivots don't wont to open so may have to take her down to the lbs...

xBpZuwZ.jpg

BHbYakn.jpg

Notice the 1st Gen LTS had its gussets welded in different positions...

fyV5iqp.jpg

The larger of the two dings the vendor didnt tell me about... Waiting to hear back from him...

FXHEMDe.jpg

YCbnBdI.jpg

Serious chain suck... for the bin.

sueJB30.jpg

The OEM Fox Alps 4 seems to be in good order which is good news...

VionNQA.jpg

Using a hair dryer i removed the Decals (Whole Food Decals were a pain)

Re:

Looking forward to seeing the transformation

looks rough in areas but if you can replace those parts and polish the rest it should turn into a gem
Seeing what others have achieve with a bit of elbow grease and a lot of patience that frame will sparkly like new again

looking at that pic of Nicolas Vouliaz riding with Canti brakes makes me smile :D

Ref the rear shock, I had mine Alps 4R rebuild by RSB Radservice in Berlin http://www.radserviceberlin.de or
http://www.radserviceberlin.de/Alps_4_5 ... 58021.html

nice guys, great price but their English was about as bad as my German... so much so I had to
get Narder on here to translate my request :oops: as Google translate is a bit hit and miss

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":3kd6b8wk said:
Looking forward to seeing the transformation

looks rough in areas but if you can replace those parts and polish the rest it should turn into a gem
Seeing what others have achieve with a bit of elbow grease and a lot of patience that frame will sparkly like new again

looking at that pic of Nicolas Vouliaz riding with Canti brakes makes me smile :D

Ref the rear shock, I had mine Alps 4R rebuild by RSB Radservice in Berlin http://www.radserviceberlin.de or
http://www.radserviceberlin.de/Alps_4_5 ... 58021.html

nice guys, great price but their English was about as bad as my German... so much so I had to
get Narder on here to translate my request :oops: as Google translate is a bit hit and miss

Thanks for the Link Retrospud! I think I've seen them advertise on ebay for the rebuilds. So i might have to pic your brains with regards the shock if it needs a rebuild. As it stands if looks in quite good shape. I managed to get an addition Alps 4 which Rojo very kindly sold me a couple weeks ago. Its scary to think now a days using Canti's on a DH bike! I just got home from work so ill give the frame some more attention tomorrow.

Re: Re:

gm1230126":1h4992hw said:
Where's that pretty 96 Team LTS?

Well the 96 has been stripped, cleaned and seriously polished and awaiting decals from Gil. Ive only put some forks, headset and stem for the moment. But it does look good if i don't mind saying so myself. I don't like the rear shock so ill swap if out as soon as i find the correct one :) Ill need a nice chain stay for the 95LTS is you have one causally laying around GM... ;)

Hi mate,

I had a Zaskar a few years back which was really dull and scruffy, wire wool, autosol polish, a load of rags and about 4 hours of my time and it was gleaming!

take a peep :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174499

konaben82":1yrxtf5n said:
Hi mate,

I had a Zaskar a few years back which was really dull and scruffy, wire wool, autosol polish, a load of rags and about 4 hours of my time and it was gleaming!

take a peep :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174499

Thanks for that! I managed to give it a good but quick polish before i dropped it off yesterday to the LBS. But i think ill need to wet sand it as theres some scratches and scuff in some areas. AutoSol is great btw...

dv1AURS.jpg

Picked up the frame this afternoon from the local bikes shop (http://www.thelondoncycleworkshop.co.uk) and after some serious persuasion the bearings loosened up. I didnt want to risk braking them at home so a couple quid well spent IMO. The cups on the BB were busted up so i had to get them to remove it. The up side is that the BB is a Ti GT one ;) although the bearings are rough and need replacing but thats no biggie. The Ti Linkage is in good knick but one of the pivots will need to be replaced as the chain managed to suck it up and shave a fair chunk out of the drive side. I see theres some NOS busing's on Ebay so will be ordering some of those over the weekend. Had to give another scrub and wash down... Can wait to wet sand the front triangle...

cWr4L7o.jpg

RA7Qivi.jpg

Q6IkMqt.jpg

y8WqmLN.jpg

tnLDkZQ.jpg

RHM5jnW.jpg

FnNEtwg.jpg

mHRUmR2.jpg

6Saj1a7.jpg

LBcoxOM.jpg

If anyone has a spare rear chain stay id really appreciate a PM...

Back