1992 Trek 8900

matthewbmiceli

Dirt Disciple
I just picked up a new project, 1992 Trek 8900 Composite frame. In the middle of three other builds it seems crazy, but for $99 I could not resist.
Will be searching for XTR bits and pieces to put it back together with, and a fork
Not sure what to go with there, Cro-Mo, carbon, or aluminum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,654
matthewbmiceli":34ttvsjh said:
I just picked up a new project, 1992 Trek 8900 Composite frame. In the middle of three other builds it seems crazy, but for $99 I could not resist.
Will be searching for XTR bits and pieces to put it back together with, and a fork
Not sure what to go with there, Cro-Mo, carbon, or aluminum.

Treks never go for big money....not sure if its a blessing or a curse

In your case that's a nice frame for limited outlay so a blessing,
It just seems a shame that the brand has such a small following

Not sure what model mine is as its been stripped bear, looks the same except it has a rear brake bridge drilled for the cable and the holder for the front mech cable on the seat tube.

Nice find BTW and your right it would have been rude to pass this one up

Nick

Re:

Nice.....gonna be starting my 8900 in a few weeks! I'm pretty pumped as I still have a 8700 ff and previously owned a 8700Pro! I'll start a build thread soon!

Re: 1992 Trek

I just received my other 92 Trek back from the powder coaters today. When Gil's decals arrive it will go off for clear two part polyurethane, then the build begins. Have almost a complete compliment of super clean XT components, with Bontranger rims & DT hubs. Should be nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,535
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,535
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,535
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,535
Re:

A build with a more modern twist, ...will make a change not to see the old Trek wearing the (admittedly nice) M730/732 for a change

By the way that tables rather nice, hope the wife didn't catch you parking your antique metal on it :D

Re: Dining table

Well Retro Spud, i did get caught, but as my Mom willed her the whole set, a very nice one too, she was kind enough to hurry me off it without any further punishment.

In an effort to find a complete group I did go with newer XT components. All of the correct vintage pieces I found were pretty rough.
I want it pretty, but very rideable too.

Good choice of parts and those wheels will compliment that lovely blue powder coat really well and if my Mrs had discovered me sitting my bike frame on the table
then i'd probably of been in hospital having it surgically removed :shock: ..

Re: Trek 950

I'm afraid I am pushing it a bit. There is a Specialized M4 S Works Road Bike in the living room. A Marin Rocky Ridge in bed 1. A T.V.Vetta full Campy Road Bike in bed 3, and the Trek 950, 8900, 3500, Univega DS 900 on the porch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,480
Crikey !! i'm surprised your Mrs is talking to you at all but nice bikes are always welcome at mine as long as your not expecting to take them back with you :LOL: ..

Back