Fillet Brazed Brodie frame and Fork - Romax..Climbmax ?

Ferghus

Retro Guru
Thought I would share a recent purchase of mine. I bought this Brodie off the original owner who initially mentioned that he thought it was an 86 Romax. I wasn't really concerned with the particulars other than that it was in excellent condition (apparently original paint) and a 90 or earlier
fillet brazed Brodie. The unfortunate detail is its size ...namely 16.5" and I am inclined towards a 19"
frame normally.

Here are some photos. The serial number is #1426 Not sure whether it is a Romax or Climbmax but leaning towards the latter.It is a strange mix of parts.

Interesting that the noodle is on the RH side which I have not seen on other early Brodies or any other Brodie for that matter.

Attachments

• IMG_6633.jpg
    IMG_6633.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_6635.jpg
    IMG_6635.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 877
Re:

been waiting to see this one. glad I didn't have to wait too long.
only heard about it. I was busy when it was listed. :LOL:
better ask paul about that serial number. for that early it would have to be a 3 digit serial number.
looks very cool. we need more pictures!!!
I would love to see it in the flesh.
AND I have a larger size. maybe you'd like to try it on for size? :roll:

That's lovely! Congrats :)

My Climbmax #1390 is tig welded and a 1990-91:

Perhaps yours is about the same vintage and a romax?

That bike (#1426) looks very similar to my '89(ish) Romax (#760) - including the pump bracket on the chainstay; other than it being smaller in size, and my noodle is on the left side.

I appreciate all the input and congrats so far !

Roy, you are certainly welcome to view this bike.
Here are a few more of the same ;)
Someone has contacted Paul on my behalf so I am hoping to get some specifics soon.
This bike is running a Mavic front and rear derailleur (possibly road spec'd ?)

Attachments

• IMG_6636.jpg
    IMG_6636.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_6637.jpg
    IMG_6637.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_6638.jpg
    IMG_6638.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 802
With no real relevance other than visual appeal, here is a photo of a friend's Romax that lurks in the shadows
of his basement (its original curved gator blade is not far away).

Attachments

• Romax.jpg
    Romax.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 787
If it s a Mavic 845 rear and 875 front dérailleur than its part of their ATB series. That's a cool group. Not sure how well they worked, but something different is always interesting.

jimi911":314y70q0 said:
If it s a Mavic 845 rear and 875 front dérailleur than its part of their ATB series. That's a cool group. Not sure how well they worked, but something different is always interesting.

Thanks Jimi - I don't see any markings but they are certainly unique ;)
Beautiful Climbmax BTW !

Re:

Such a beautiful frameset Duke and you snagged a few great parts in the deal too :cool: Look forward to finding out exactly what it is :)

Thanks Adrian ! I finally got out on this Romax and it rides beautifully aside from the self shifting mavic
components. It turns out the rear Mavic derailleur is a road bike component (841 med) and the front being the 875 MTB derailleur.

With the kind assistance of my friend Bob and his requests to Jimbotoad ...it appears that Jimbotoad
has determined this to be a Romax built in late 1990. A big thanks to Bob, Dr. J, Paul and everyone else for their input !

Back