Newest purchase GT Zaskar, possibly 1991?

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hey guys, flicking through eBay saw a new purchase which I promptly picked up after bunging a best offer in :)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Zaskar-Mount ... nav=SEARCH

It's a not very shiny GT Zaskar with Magura mount Pace RC35's, XT front and rear mechs, Sugino Fuse 500 chainset and XT/ Pace hubbed wheels as the highlights.

Frame is nice and straight with no dents and looks like it will polish up great. It's got the flat capped top tube and uses a rear U brake plus has a non replaceable mech hanger. Anyone know what year this is likely from?

Everything needs stripping and a good clean/ service, elastomers are shot of course.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

It's either a 91 or 92 model year frame as those did not have replaceable hangers. Should be a serial number, likely stamped on the inside of the left rear dropout that would indicate the month and year of manufacture on the frame. If it happens to be a late 1990 productions it's a 91 model year frame.

Re: Newest purchase GT Zaskar unknown year

That's great. Was too late with work early in the morning to get a serial number last night so I'll hunt it down later.

Minifreak":5uslkgcu said:
That's great. Was too late with work early in the morning to get a serial number last night so I'll hunt it down later.

Exciting! It will lovely when its all Stripped and Polished! Congrats! Cant wait to see it ;)

Cheers phatmar, liking your recent build. When I saw this couldn't help but buy it for a steal!

Well got home from work an hour a go and as it was just me and the dog decided to get started.

Bikes pretty much stripped and everything is filthy so lots of cleaning and degreasing to do. Dropped bloody loose headset ball everywhere as well.

Despite both mechs, the BB, thumbies and Rear hub being M732 XT, it has Suntour Accushift cables so who knows which brand it originally had.

Serial number is AG49946. Anyone know if that's a 1991?
Got to say whatever year it is its built to be bombproof, reckon this will turn out great. Anyway people love pics so here's some before the clean:

Looks like you have a great build ahead! You sure thats the serial number? Have another check around the rear chain stay. What plans do you have for the spec? I wish i started my build thread like yours... Start to finish (And with no fireworks). How do you plan on polishing it? Looks like its got no scratches so it will come up lovely.

Was going to start with a good decreases and then lots of autosol. Is there a better/easier way?

I'll have another look for a number when I get time, off to tinker with classic Mini's after dinner.

Not sure on when the build will be done as I have a couple of bikes in progress already but looking at keeping the PACE and Magura plus XT bits and wheels, replacing the chainset with an XT, a Smoke and Dart and a Syncros stem and bar. I may change to an aheadset, not sure yet. I have a lovely brown Turbo saddle that was destined for a Vitamin T but may go well on this. For now it's a clean and refurb on all I'm keeping and then sell the rest at very reasonable prices ;)

Just thinking about all the bits I've sold that would have been great on this build!!!

If that serial nbumber is correct, you are more likely to have a GT Pantera AL. 7005 series aluminium.

They were painted and once stripped, they are hard to tell apart unless you have two side by side.

file.php

767665d1359854656-mornings-score-91-zaskar-zaskar-001.jpg

g24_01_gt_zaskar_le_seitenansicht_xl.jpg

Don't all Zaskars have a removable mech hanger too? 2 bolt for early then one bolt for later?

Ignore this, just re read thread :)

Done a bit of digging and found this:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

Looks like it is a Pantera and not a Zaskar, a nice early one in good order frame wise non the less. A bit annoyed but I don't think the seller knew any better, it's a very nice basis for a build so I'll stick with my plans, just have to get Pantera decals instead.

Latest posts

Back