1994 Team Marin - sub 20lb :)

ljamesb

Old School Hero
Thought I'd share a few photos from a ride I took today on my 1994 Team Marin.

20150802_145712.jpg

It was just amazing to finally be able to ride this bike. Went for a bit of a ride through some fields, some dirt roads, some tow paths, and a few miles on road. Nice and varied (at least the type of stuff I usually ride on) to test the bike out a bit.

Has been a few months since I started this build, which, funnily enough, started life as a 1994 Pine Mountain. By the end I had changed so many bits on the bike, that I figured I may as well just change the frame too while I'm at it :oops:. So my Pine Mountain became a Team Marin.

So here she is.

20150802_145642.jpg

The bike weighs in at 8960g or 19.75 lbs as pictured (minus bottle cage+front/rear led lights). It's awesome to ride. Very responsive, but not too twitchy.

This is 100% a bike meant to be ridden :D. The choice in parts have all been a compromise between usability, niceness and lightness. Basically all the parts used were absolute bargains though too ;).

20150802_143909.jpg

20150802_143951.jpg

20150802_143955.jpg

20150802_145324.jpg

20150802_145342.jpg

Here's the full parts list. Still waiting on a couple more parts though

-Marin Team Marin 19"
-Shimano Deore XT front derailleur
-Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur
-Shimano Deore LX chainset
-Shimano Deore LX Parallax hubs
-Shimano CS-HG41-7ac 7 speed casette
-Lightweight ritchey rims
-Marin Eldridge Grade spokes
-KTER Titanium/aluminium allen key skewers
-PlanetX 'Frogs Bollox' cantilever Brakes
-Ultralight aluminium auxillary brake levers
-Sram MRX Comp grip shifters
-Marin Lite Aluminium bars
-SRAM slickwire MTB brake outers
-SRAM slickwire MTB brake outers as gear outers (these particular cables are awesome since they work well for both)
-Stella Azzura foam grips
-ETC black threadless stem
-Aluminium stem wedge, shortened stem bolt and diy bolt housing
-Schwalbe Marathon Racer tyres
-Schwalbe xxlight inner tubes
-Full Carbon saddle
-Titanium seatbolt and flange nut
-Nylon water bottle cage screws
-GUB alloy Chainring bolts
-CNC alloy 11T jockey wheels
-ROCKBROS Ti Flat Pedals
-GUB seatpost - light post with big clamp for carbon rails (in the mail)

For touring, I'll switch out the marin bars for modelo butterfly bars, brake levers for shimano ultegra flat levers, shifters for friction thumb shifters, saddle for brooks b17, add mudguards + rear rack. The bike is 10kg with all this stuff changed.

Re:

I can't believe you've gone to all the trouble of titanium bolts and wheel skewers, but left the wheel reflectors on. Ditch those and there's another 50g right there. :p

ha ha! Very good point. Thanks for that! :) I suspect that the reflectors may have been responsible for a bit of wobble when spinning the wheels in a repair stand too.

9kg seems like a really nice weight. It's light enough that this morning on a quick ride to my post office, I wanted to adjust something with the rear mech. I found myself just picking the whole bike up with one hand and turning the pedals with the other. Really makes me wonder what a 6kg road bike must be like. he he.

Any suggestions are welcome if there's something you think I could improve on. Some of the components might be a bit of a controversial choice (like the grip shifters), but so far it's all working well.

Re:

Any suggestions are welcome

OK, you asked for it. You could probably shorten the cable outers up front by 3 to 6 inches, that would shave off another 40 or 50g. :D

Another good point. Cheers :).

Had been meaning to, but left them long for the moment. I had some Issues with the front brake inner getting caught on the derailleur cable ferrules. Left them long as I thought it might help with this.

Back