Shimano PD-M731 Beartrap Axle Service - Special Tool Req'd?

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello to all

I've got a set of these pedals where they feel really dry and need service and adjustment. I can see that the cage needs removing prior to axle removal - is there a special tool to get the dustcap off without making a real bodge of it? It's a small grey cap, most probably screw-in, with four equidistant notches in it, so looks like there's something specific to undo it without ripping apart the plastic.

Many thanks

I've now completely stripped, regreased and re-assembled these. Even took a series of pics for a how-to for when I get time to post it up.

The answer is - yes, however, I managed to find a pair of jaws that were exactly the right size to slot into the plastic dustcaps and twist them off without damaging them. I ended up using an old Raleigh multi-tool, the sort of single spanner that was designed to fit every bolt on your bike and always ripped up your hands if you needed to apply any force to it!

Re:

I for one would like to see your photos and writeup. I have a couple of sets awaiting new bearings.

Cheers, Ted

Back