Took delivery of my new project today.

1991 Kona Cinder Cone

19" Frame
Project 2 forks
Stem .. velocity ??? (decals missing)
Handle bars
Mavic 517 rims on Shimano XT hubs
Ritchley Z max classic tyres

After a quick inspection the frame appears to be free of cracks/dents but theres more rust than a 70's Fiat :(
I plan to have a proper look over the frame tomorrow.

Its a good job i had planned to repaint the frame as the rust worms have certainly been busy... i've never seen forks so bad :shock:

on with the pics ...

Doesn't look too bad here

But look a little closer ...

Rust worm :?

FluffyChicken":1zh70bwx said:
that frame looks in fine condition, forks could do with a tidy up though.

Back to bare metal, hydrate 80, etch primer, high build primer, colour coat, clear coat ... :mrgreen:

Re:

So with the absence of the original plastic brake stop clamp i had to find an alternative and after asking around and googling i had a couple of options.

the Acor single clamp in 28.6 size and the "Original 8" clamp on double cable stop also in 28.6 ... (perfect fit)

I'd been a concerned they were going to be quite chunky (like a seat post clamp) but needn't have worried as both are unobtrusive and feather light. Both would work but ill be using the "original 8" as the cable run is correct as opposed to the off orientation of the Acor.

The clamp is surprisingly small and superlight.

Excellent service from SJS cycles and Frame Discounts the latter via Tesco Direct :shock: :LOL:

Re:

Think i might be able to help you out. Is this what your needing,it measures 29.8mm but sure you could reduce it with a bit of packing.

Attachments

• IMAG0734_1.jpg
    IMAG0734_1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 4,290
Re:

That's the correct one, 29.8 is the external seatube size (hence future version use 29.8/30.0 seatclamp.

But I'm sure I remember Vs being used, so no use.

Re: Re:

Spanky22b":1zwjewp7 said:
Think i might be able to help you out. Is this what your needing,it measures 29.8mm but sure you could reduce it with a bit of packing.

:cool: you have PM

So first the forks :shock: never seen anything quite like the corrosion on these. Most of the corrosion is in uniform horizontal lines ..kind of looks like when chrome breaks down !? i can only assume the original finish is overcoated chrome ?

Surface was flatted back with wet, P180 wet and dry paper. 30 minutes later i end up with ....

Tomorrow i'll hit the nooks and crannies with a wire brush drill attachment, refine the surface with 1000 grit wet n dry and apply Bit Hambler deox gel to work its magic overnight .... that should see off the last of the corrosion.

Back