Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:44 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:52 pm 
Retro Guru

I got a new bike! It arrived while the wife was in, but I somehow managed to survive with all my extremities intact. One in, two out, she reckons (bikes, not extremities!). Luckily, I had two frames I wanted to sell anyway. :D

What did I buy? One of these thingies..

Built in the UK by Chas Roberts, fillet brazed, and with dodgem paintwork. It even has chips - what's not to love? :D

I've wanted a UK-built, fillet brazed bike for a while now, but I always assumed I'd wind up with a Saracen. I never thought it'd be a Roberts. :)

Lynx Racing Products were apparently a manufacturer of lightweight bolts, and Roberts used them to supply bolts for the DOGS BOLX. The Parrilla seems to be a rebranded Genesis/Bottom Line. It's also the name of a Spanish grill, used for cooking meat in large amounts. That might explain the red & yellow colour scheme!

Sooo... what to do with it? I bought it as a frame and fork, but the fork that came with it is surprisingly heavy, so I'm after a Project Two fork, which Bottom Lines and some Genesises were fitted with. I've got some XT parts to hang on it, but had to buy a crank. Brakes are going to be Suntour XC SEs for a while, as they've just been freed from my Kili Racer. Not sure that seems right, tho. The fittings will probably be a bit of a mess for a while, to be honest - I don't like to buy too much in one go, or else the wife gets stroppy. :P

While it is tempting to get it powder coated white and stick some Roberts Genesis decals on it, I think I'm going to keep it as a Parrilla. It can be friends with my B52 Courier! Also - lose that paint?? No way! There must be some enamel that'll match the spangly paint, and I should be able to get the decals replicated easily enough (seems odd that there's no headbadge, tho). I've traced the decals, so now I need to see if a font matches them.

Can't wait to get the fork, so I can get a better feel for what to put on the bike. Exciting!! :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Good score, that was a bargain :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:11 am 
Retro Guru

Can't wait to see this built. I think P2's are a good shout. They were used by a few UK custom builders; I think it was said that they couldn't build as good a fork for the same money.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:18 am 
Retro Guru

look forward to the build ! good to hear your not painting it white

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:09 am 
Old School Grand Master

great news to see this getting built up again

i would also keep an eye out for some ritchey logic forks - i think they would suit this

agree paint not needed - this is a classic under the radar bike - not many will turn their heads for it, but it shits over most things!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:26 pm 
Retro Guru

Was watching this bike for a while and fancied it myself if not being too small. Glad you've got it and best of luck with the build :) .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:33 pm 
Retro Guru

quite like this - originally outted it in ebay and was surprises it hung around here for so long

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:50 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Chuffed to see this here and being built up.....!!! Checked in for updates.