1992 GT Avalanche

Stiff_Orange

Old School Hero
Latest acquisition. Looks fairly original, even got original GT saddle under that horrible cover.
Seller is chucking in the original smoke tyres. Will post up more picture when I pick it up.

Attachments

• avalanche2.JPG
    avalanche2.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,531
  • avalanche.JPG
    avalanche.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,533
Crikey, that's lush - not often you see one of those saddles in such good condition. Looks like it just came out of the shop :)

Re:

Nice, one of my favourite GT's that one. Great to see it in such original condition.

Really cool. I reckon these era GT's are one of the most innovative fully steel rigid bikes, before bikes started getting specced with suspension forks. The adjustable offset fork, "flip-flop stem", U-Brake, groove tube top tube, all really unique design features. Many other high production brands just slapped together a Prestige tube set and called it at that. GT went a few steps further. I had a Richter 8.0, really wanted an Avalanche though. Hope you enjoy riding it!

cmscycle":2eulrh9x said:
Really cool. I reckon these era GT's are one of the most innovative fully steel rigid bikes, before bikes started getting specced with suspension forks. The adjustable offset fork, "flip-flop stem", U-Brake, groove tube top tube, all really unique design features. Many other high production brands just slapped together a Prestige tube set and called it at that. GT went a few steps further. I had a Richter 8.0, really wanted an Avalanche though. Hope you enjoy riding it!
GT really outdid themselves with some of the bikes they produced in the 90s, its a shame that nowadays they churn out a lot of generic crap. They still make some good bikes too but they arent half as innovative as they used to be

Thanks for the comments.

Picked it up yesterday after coming back from Bontrager 24 12 race in Plymouth, so haven't done much with it.
SEANSTEVENS, yes it did look small when I picked it up, but just removing saddle cover, bottle cages, mud guards and rather nasty bar ends and raising the saddle have made it look a bit cleaner and larger. Getting proper off road tyres on it will improve it even more.
Its very original and everything still has GT decals, hardly marked, even the toe straps are GT branded. The seller also provided the original tyres, a pair of original Panaracer Smoke's which look hardly used, could probably sell them on here for what I paid for the entire bike.
It's basically ready to ride, but I think a weekend strip down, deep clean and polish, new cables and fresh lube will bring it fully to life.
Will post more pics when I start doing it, although I've just received my 1991 Orange Clockwork Frame back from it's respray, and I also won a Marin Eldridge Grade frame and fork, which I forgot I bidded on, so I'm going to be a busy boy.

Re:

Sounds good. I want to own/ restore one because this was the bike that brought me here in the first place but deep down i know it would be purely nostalgic and i wouldnt ride it much

Sean :)

Back