Newby Gary fisher hkek

Roqsta

Retro Newbie
Hi
I have this old hkek from about 1990? I have built it from bits and pieces over the years but keep stripping front shifters. Would this bike had friction shifters in the day? I can't remember much from back then!!
Roq
Ps can't work out how to reduce size of my pic

Roqsta":juyoie1s said:
Hi
I have this old hkek from about 1990? I have built it from bits and pieces over the years but keep stripping front shifters. Would this bike had friction shifters in the day? I can't remember much from back then!!
Roq
Ps can't work out how to reduce size of my pic

Hi Buddy

welcome to RB

have you checked out the archive section, 1990 is missing but there is info from 92 onwards
and a lot before 1990

Here's the link

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... r.pdf.html

Re:

My first MTB was a Hookooeekoo - it got stolen in Kingston upon Thames - absolutely gutted. I still have the saddle since that's all that was left behind!
I might be able to dig up a pic and scan it.

I bought it in 1990, but not sure of the model year. It was black, with 1.25 inch oversized headset and Suntour trigger shifts - a bit like the first rapidfires, but really stiff to move. Suntour groupset, but cannot remember which level - definitely not XCpro, as I had a friend with an Orange O with that and it was in a different league.

Re: Re:

fatboy888":1iza0f43 said:
I bought it in 1990, but not sure of the model year. It was black, with 1.25 inch oversized headset and Suntour trigger shifts - a bit like the first rapidfires, but really stiff to move. Suntour groupset, but cannot remember which level - definitely not XCpro, as I had a friend with an Orange O with that and it was in a different league.

Strange you should mention the stiff shifters, I've recently put some NOS Suntour Accushift trigger shifters on my 1990 Cindercone and put the stiffness down to age

I think the groupset you'd have would be Suntour XCD if XC Pro was off the table, have a look at my Kona build (link in my signature) and see if it brings back memories.... I believe it was only available in 1990

Spud

Gary fisher pic

Here is a picture. Sorry it's not the best quality!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 639
Re:

holy cow its an e-stay :shock:

life suddenly got more interesting, that deserves better pictures
I'll PM my email address, send me your snaps and I'll resize them

Re:

That beast there is a 91 :) It would have had STI levers.

HK-II's are cool. My first MTB as well. Looking forward to watching progress.

Re:

Having a look through the web I'm pretty sure it was Suntour X-1, though it was in the midst of a very boozy period - aaah those were the days...

Havent found the pics as yet - could be in any one of several boxes, but I grabbed a pic of the saddle! It now sits proudly on my Puch sports 5 which I've had since I was a teenager - now my nipping-to-the-post-office bike - marginally more comfortable than the original solid plastic addle, but still not something I could sit on for a long stretch...

Attachments

• saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 570
Re:

I was thinking of using a white turbo I have sitting around. Not sure of its age but we all used turbo back in the day.

Back