'91 GT Zaskar

Sailingjab1976

Dirt Disciple
I have just picked up a lovely looking '91 GT Zaskar in what looks to be fantastic condition really, with a pretty much full XC Pro group set (except a DX F/D).

But, and there always seems to be a but doesn't there, the seat post appears to be stuck. Someone in the past has tried to get it out using brut force by the looks of it, bending the 'GT' end cap and what appears to be breaking the seat post. The seat has been fitted into what's left of the seat post. I quick few taps with the hammer hasn't shifted it a mm, so will try some penetrating oil for a few weeks to see if that frees it up.

Has anyone one else got any ideas? Can't use the caustic soda technique as I'll just be left with the seat post!

Apart from that, it's in great condition. would have preferred an XT group set though, so may change those bits over.

Will upload some photos when I get to my computer (and when I work out how to do it!).

Re:

What a shame - other than the obvious it looks in great shape. Someone has really gotten in a pissy with that post haven't they? I have no idea how or why they did that to the end of the top tube. Looks like there is going to be a lot of post in that frame?

Re:

The best way to get that post out is to strip the bike down, clamp the seatpost tight in a vice and then turn turn the frame with all your force

You can also cut the top of the seat post off so its just a straight through piece of tube then cut two slits down to the top of the seat post (so it looks like an X from above) then you can crush the top part of the tube which can make it compress inside the frame and loosen it. But that is more of a last resort

Sean

Re:

Given that Alu expands at a much greater rate than steel, would it be worth trying to heat up the frame with something like a hair dryer / paint stripper (nothing as hot as a blow torch as its already been heat treated)? Alu expands something like 2x more than steel, so it may free it off? Anyone tied this?

Re:

Simple answer is no. A hair dryer isnt hot enough, a blow torch would be but it would likely damage the frame, or at least the polished finish so thats a no go

Re:

The problem is, I'm not sure how much is really left on the seat post once the seat is removed. I think the tube had been broken off (maybe when they damaged the end cap) and the seat clamp put back in somehow. On the front side there is about 1/2" of post available, on the back a bit less. I do t think there will be enough for the vice to get hold off.

Will try a big set of stillsons and scaffold tube to see if I can get the leverage.

Re:

Hmm i looked at the picture again and i see what you mean

So probably not because the two sides of the post need to clamp tight in the vice and the diameter of the tube is more than half an inch (26.8mm)

Re:

never tried it
but i believe you can use a pipe freezing kit to contact the steel post which could make it easier to remove

Back