Raleigh Torus with Trimnell Direct Steer Forks Build

gilest

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon all,

I'll try to keep this short (ish) :cool:

I bought this Torus STX in 2008 off ebay, unfortunately I have no photos of the bike as it was then but I believe it was a fairly untouched original build. On the top tube is a sticker from the original supplier J.C Cook. I called them hoping to find out the year of sale and original cost but they don't hold records dating that far back.

Since then I have been rebuilding it (on and mostly off) with some superior parts which seems to take me ages to find - (I still have all the original parts wheels/forks/levers etc etc). In 2011 I managed to pick up some Trimnell forks http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147913. I've also collected other bits and bobs, wheels, levers, brakes etc etc. Ramage kindly reproduced a high quality complete set of decals for me in the STX and XT versions (the XT which will be added to this build).

My aim was to rebuild it using lightweight parts hoping to have the final build weight under 20lbs, at the moment it's looking like 21 on paper.

So I'm hoping for a bit of advice now really on how best to complete this build, as I'd like to get it out this year.

Current spec and pics below:-

Fork / Stem: Trimnell Direct Steer
Headset: Timken Taper Roller Bearing

Bars: Original Straight Ti Handlebar
Bar Ends: X-Lite Blue Anodised
Grips: Ritchey WCS Truegrip

F Brakes: Shimano XT M739 V-Brake
R Brakes: Shimano XT M737 canti (making use of the guide on the frame)
Levers: Shimano XT M739 V-Brake
Cables: ????

Shifters: Shimano XT M739 8 clicks
F Derailleur: Shimano XT M739 34.9mm top pull (although thinking about it, it may be a M73:cool:
R Derailleur: Shimano XT M739 Long cage, 8 speed SGS
Cables: ????
Cassette: Shimano CS M950 Ti
Chainset: Zephyr 24/34/44T (9-10 Speed – Not sure if this will give me problems when it comes to picking a chain)
Crank: Middleburn RS3 175mm – Ti Crank/Spider to Arm bolts
Chain: ????
Bottom Bracket: Royce Ti BB (113x6:cool:
Pedals: Eggbeaters

F Rim: Mavic M517 Eyeletted 32h
F Hub: Hope Ti Glide - Blue Anodised
F QR: Trans-X (want to change)
R Hub: Hope Ti-Glide - Blue Anodised
R Rim: Mavic M519 Eyeletted 32h
R QR: Trans-X (want to change)
Spokes: Unknown
Rim Tape: Unknown
Tyres: Continental Twister
Tubes: Continental MTB 26" Supersonic Inner

Saddle: Expedia (want to change)
Seatbolt: Trans-X (want to change)
Seatpost: Raleigh Special Product + Shim (want to change for Ti)

Bottle Holder: RSP Ti (although one of the bottle inserts is missing so I need to get that repaired somehow?)

TcX0P

TcX0P

TcX0P

TcX0P

TcX0P

TcX0P

For some reason the pics won't embedded....

http://imgur.com/a/TcX0P/all

thanks

love it, best forks in the world imho, looked so futuristic back then and id love a torus xt one day, but have never seen a big one for sale, nd in my price range haha

nice splatter of colour too :)

The pics in the last link were taken this afternoon, does anyone know why the other pics won't embed?

Thanks for the comments. Keeping with the blue theme I was thinking of sourcing a black and blue x lite saddle and had wondered about adding some colour with the outer cables....

Umm no, this hasn't been on ebay since I bought it in 2008.. a torus frame/forks finished this evening I think, sold for over 150

Re:

Hi,

Who can tell me the diameter of a seatpost for a framework Raleigh Torus Titanium ?????

Thank you in advance for the info

Pascal

Back