1997 FSR Extreme re-build

Malt_Vinegar

Dirt Disciple
Just getting back into MTB riding, and always lusted after one of these when I was a kid, and could never afford it!

So, I found a frame on ebay, and built up my own semi-retro ride! Gave it a first quick ride today after picking up a couple of from the local bike shop, as some of my mail ordered bits had not turned up, and I was getting imparient!

It's got quite a few non-retro bits, but the essence is there :D

FSR1.jpg

Steerer tube is yet to be cut, but I wanted to wait till the full time stem arrived, and I can set it up properly and work out a riding position.

Anyone know if there is anywhere I can get the original rock shox deluxe coupe rebuilt? Its fine for now, but I would like to get it done in the near future..

Re:

Just cut the steerer tube and put it all back together, and it feels great! I however feel fat and slow :D

Decided to cut it with some excess and used an extra 5mm spacer to give me some room for adding the proper stem if required.

The grips are propalm foams, but I think they are a chinese knock-off type..

It's the downside to returning to riding after a long time: you remember being fast, fearless and fantastic. Then you're fat, frightened and frumpy ;-) (That may just be me )
Doesn't matter as long as the ride makes you grin though :-D

Re:

Haha, it's true for me too..
Up until the last couple of years I was pretty fit, but fatherhood and travelling a lot for work has killed that totally.
Still the bike is really making me grin and I keep tinkering with everything.
Working to adjust the rear V brakes and finding it lacks the power of the same spec front v's.
Any ideas?

I have no excuses now, time to get back out there on my dream bike and get fit again :D

Back