Rocky Mountain Summit Max

troje

Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
This one came in last night. It's a Summit Max with a 51 cm center to top seattube. I haven't seen many of these around and it does not appear in any of the Rocky brochures. What year is it? The cable stops on the headtube suggest 1991? Frame number does not reveal much either. Anyway, its a nice frame and another project that will slow down the other builds.

foto%2525201%252520%25252814%252529.JPG

foto%252520%25252812%252529.JPG

lovely, that's an RM i would gladly add to my collection. really like the integrated seat stay binder! i'd guess 91 as well given it's similarity to the Summit (RL) in the catalogue of that year. perhaps a region specific (germany?) re-branded model of the same frame?

I know a local guy in western Canada that still has his Summit Max that he raced on in the early 90's. I'll see if I can get some info from him. From what I've seen online, it was the same as the Summit RL, except it came with Ritchey brakes, levers, and cranks and the different paint job.

Re:

I'd say 1991 and every Max has German text when trying to read about them. Can only assume like above that it is the euro (German) version.

Wonder if they where a late in the year thing as the seatube is bulge butted a feature of 1992 frames (feeling it was a 92/92 ish new tubeset?).
Not even the Altitude had a bulge butted till 1992. Saying the BBTs are heavier than a tapered (ovalised) butted tube. Built for strength over racing.

That one thing I love Rockies for, ever frame at this time had a different purpose, tube design and geometry.

Thanks all, so far very helpful. I would say it's a 1991 as well, most posts on the German forum are pointing in that direction. I would also think this model was sold only in Europe or maybe only imported for Germany, but even in Germany I find only a handful of builds. Blizz, it would be great to learn if the same frame was used by your Canadian guy.

In an old German thread someone mentions that the Summit Max was positioned just as the Summit RL with the same components, same frame with Tange Prestige Concept tubing and both with Ritchey components. the RL had slightly lighter components. Also mentioned is that the frame was build in Japan in the same factory as where Ritcheys were build.

What makes it difficult now is that someone offered me a complete Summit RL in the same size...

Re:

They (Rocky) where only just starting to make there say I to the UK. first time I remember a line up was around 92 in our shop.

My 91 came from the team going round try to spread the word. I think before that it was pretty much just Germany because they imported them.

Is the top tube concept, easy to see as it'll be bi-ovalised like maxOR just not to that extremes or sizes

Re:

Hi Troje is that the '92 summit max that came up for sale here a few months ago by a chap named Forrest?
cheers
LFoowl

Re:

:oops: knew it :facepalm: i see from your signature you're into 18" frames. Your bike went up for sale the day I realized that 18" frames were too small for me, even 18.5 inch RM frames :facepalm: now I'm stuck with this one:

Back