Marin 'Team Marin'

AaronJ

Dirt Disciple
G'day gang,

My first post here (from down under) but have been lurking for a VERY long time.

However, just found out I must have at least 1 post before I can post a link (to pics)!

So here's 1.......

Back in a tick.

OK, try again...

Just purchased what I believe is a 1995 Marin 'Team Marin' and wanted to post some pics to get your feedback.

I checked the 1995 German Marin catalogue and there seems a few differences. So I'm not sure how much on mine is orig or not.

Any pointers, feedback or advise on the bike and its originality would be greatly appreciated.

Ebay1.jpg

Ebay2.jpg

Cheers,

Aaron

My knowledge of Marins isn't sufficient to tell the year really. 95 could well be right, but if it is, most of that gear is older than the frame and forks.

I'd say its older. 1993. But very few of those components are original. Cranks look like XTR M900 which would be right for a Team Marin.

IMO it looks like its been used as 'donor bike' for something else to be upgraded and had loads of ad-hoc parts thrown at it to get it rideable again.

No problem though, you'll have fun restoring it, the parts you'll need are accessible and it'll still ride great in the meantime.

Welcome to the site. :D

Hmm. I think I'd err with Kev- rear hub look newer than 93 and the rim look wider than I would expect, other stuff looks a bit hodge-podge. DX front mech on the Team?

Cranks do look M730 and I want some of those Ritchey Logic canti's (think mine got binned from my parents house).

Aaron, if it's not rude, how much did you pay? I only ask cos decent retro bikes seem to be thin on the ground her in Oz. Wish I could find something like that without having to ship from abroad... Have fun restoring it!

Geoff":2j8dkfed said:
Hmm. I think I'd err with Kev- rear hub look newer than 93 and the rim look wider than I would expect, other stuff looks a bit hodge-podge. DX front mech on the Team?

Cranks do look M730 and I want some of those Ritchey Logic canti's (think mine got binned from my parents house).!

Cheers Geoff ;) DX front mech, M730 rear mech and XTR M900 cranks. None original.

M730 cranks have SHIMANO engraved into them. No amount of heel scuff can polish it off :D

The Ritchey canti's are nice. Basically a DiaCompe 987 IIRC.

As I said though Aaron, not putting your bike down. Its a great basis for a project and will definately be worth the effort of restoring, or just thrash it as it is.

MadCowKev":2r7iw1am said:
DX front mech, M730 rear mech and XTR M900 cranks. None original.

M730 cranks have SHIMANO engraved into them. No amount of heel scuff can polish it off
DX front mech, I'll grant.

M735 rear mech - original.

Those cranks aren't M900 - the profile of the arms isn't right. I take the point about the SHIMANO stamp on the face of the 730 - so how about Deore DX?

I'm pretty sures thats not an M735 rear mech! And possible the left and right cranks aren't a pair :shock: Not Deore DX either - they were stamped DEORE.

Maybe Aaron will confirm the part numbers of all his components?

Aaron - common on buddy. Settle an Anglo-French disagreement ;) :LOL:

WOW heaps of great and fast replies. Thanks you…. You guys have me all excited about it now!!!

Geoff... I got the Team for AU$140.

I also bough a 1996 completely original Marin Hawk Hill for my partner 6 months back. Long story, but she is currently on a very low end 05 Giant Rincon and was complaining how heavy, slow and clunky it was. I was going to ‘modernise’ the Hawk Hill somewhat with a newer drive train and wheelset to give her a light, fast and funky rigid retro bike, but she was just never sold on the idea. Crazy I know ;-)

The Hawk Hill is a lower spec bike but I got it off Ebay for about AU$130. So original it still had extrusion bits on the tires and almost not a brake mark on the rims.

I think the thing is that Marin is relatively unknown here and I just think people don't see a value in them (agreed?). It’s a totally different story from something like an old Specialized Stumpy or FSR though (silly prices here), and we don't really get many of the exotics the guys get in the US and Europe.

Thanks again for al the feedback guys. I’ll go away, mull it over and come up with and action plan for the bike.

Cheers,

Aaron.

Back