1992 Specialized Stumpjumper - Completed!

calorrado

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Purchased this from Minifreak, nice easy project to replace my wife's Bear Valley, will build up with DX to try and keep it close to original.

How I got it, good condition and no rust but in need of some tlc.
58a816ca701d2438efa10ceb9bc2354e.jpg

b33dac4fb72ff9f7be2daaec456822ad.jpg

After 2 hours Saturday spent cleaning down and touching in all chips and scratches and another couple of hours today wet sanding and polishing I'm really happy with the results.
9218a41594c96c525c580d539dedf9db.jpg

Also had a surprise when I got the frame out in the sun, it's not black! It's a really dark plum with red metallic, nice!
33fd5e5e7e6fd3dff3c653d3c30ee71b.jpg

c3c05db0acf66b5cbff54bed7d191428.jpg

So now to get some forks sorted, but I'm never gonna match that paint unless I just go for black which will be close or a different colour with stem to match?

Re: 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper

Loving the colour ! for forks maybe something to match the decals?

I had a set of matching forks for that frame ... Sold some time ago. The direct drive fork comes up a lot on eBay. Not sure how anxious you are to finish it but if you are patient I bet one shows up in the next year.

I had that stumpy as a kid ... Loved it :)

enc":3k5jl7z5 said:
Loving the colour ! for forks maybe something to match the decals?

This is exactly what popped into my mind too!
Red would be a good match!

Cheers guys, hopefully have forks sorted now.

Perhaps you're right with the red it would be a good contrast to the frame.

Got some more parts through today, I'll get polishing the weekend.

Quick update, a little progress rigid forks obtained but steerer was a little long, local bike shop assured me they could extend the thread so I could cut down but they managed to cross thread for me so they are ruined :cry:
So for now it will sport the rockshox, these are in great condition so I'm in two minds whether to paint and have another stem on the way as I won't need the roller.

5450fa42fd2fe9d98286798c9e563750.jpg

New tioga bars and some and some lightly refurbed DX shifters too!

dfb68816e5261f5ca8222e4d1c3ed69d.jpg

9c7215fc60104c27e7c1eee1e6ac0217.jpg

cb77894a672aad1c0f21d6f51b714ae4.jpg

Re:

Nice paintwork! And good work on the levers too :cool:

I have a pair of DX mechs for sale if you're interested. As well as some Deore thumbies, a 1" Stumpy stem and Specialized bottle cage. Just stripped down my '92 Rockhopper

PM me if anything of use

Mike

The neglected pub cruiser build got a look in today.

DX Ritchey Vantage wheels off and replaced with LX black anodised Specialized BX23 rims, nos Panaracer duster pro's.
Pulley stem replaced with freshly painted Ritchey and new seat post, clamp and good con turbo saddle added.

Have all the parts to complete this now so will try and get this completed by next weekend..... Try :facepalm:

Well I was gonna try and get this bike finished this weekend but....

I have completed today instead :D

Always wanted a Stumpjumper so very pleased to get this build finished, I will share this with the Mrs but its main duties I'm sure will be this summers pub cruiser.
It is all Deore DX apart from the hubs which are LX, all stripped down, meticulously cleaned, regressed, parts repainted etc.

The minute I finished it had a quick blast down the road and back for a few pics....

image_9.jpeg~original

Back