1992 Trek 8700 composite frame

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
This graphite Trek popped up on Gumtree last week for $100 (about £50).

The seller was the original owner, who had bought it new from Velomeister, Los Gatos, California (it still has the shop sticker on the frame).

It's well used (almost every component has been replaced) but the frame itself is in decent condition. The plan is to strip it down, refurbish the frame, and hunt down the original Deore DX / XT components, rigid fork etc.

It also has blue anodised Velocity rims on it, which were built locally here in NSW. I don't know anything about Velocity rims, are they any good?

Attachments

• 1992 Trek 8700 01.JPG
    1992 Trek 8700 01.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 704
Re:

Man, this hits a soft spot for me! Ok....so where to begin?! The fork is a Tange Big fork, the OE rims were Matrix singletracks with Deore DX hubs. There was an option to go with a Trek/Tioga DDS3 fork but those pop up once in a while but only on this side of the pond. You are right in that its a mix of deore dx/xt...I ended up swapping out the DX for XT stuff anyways. Makes me want to build up my 1st race bike!!!!

Re:

Nice for the money, I remember york cycleworks used one of these as the team bikes, had the DS2 fork as extra fitted IIRC nice bikes, I had the year previous and always regret moving it on.

RBG

Re:

Glad it's brought back good memories. :D

Can anyone recall what shifter levers it would have had? I can only find very limited info about the original spec.

Typically ... two minutes after I post this I find the info I was asking about. :facepalm: Deore XT rapid-fire SIS apparently.

Back