1994 Explosif Closet find!

shauno

Geoff Capes
Hello everyone and thanks for reading this actual first post aside from my random for sale threads and simple questions :)

I wanted to show this beauty off to some that would appreciate it as much as I do. I've been into these bikes since the first one I bought new back in 93 from Deep Cove Bike Shop in North Vancouver. It certainly wasn't like this one though, it was a Fire Mountain 17", and since being 15 yrs old it was all I could afford after saving for a whole year. Its pretty amazing to find the same year bike I originally had back then but one of the much better models. It was a fluke.

I have had a few old Konas, and Rockies of the same vintage but nothing that I really wanted to keep. Some were good, some were bad, and some were just the wrong size. I guess it could also be that maybe I'm just not the restoration type fellow but more of a "look for a good clean example and ride it" type of guy.

I do have other bikes atm as well and I also think I have the bug pretty bad. I'm constantly scouring ads and looking through the classifieds here just to keep an eye on things like I bet most everyone is doing these days ;)

So, I bought this from an older gentleman co-worker who got into riding for the purpose of recreation and a little fun. I'm not sure how long or how hard he actually rode but the bike shows little signs of abuse and wear. He did say it sat in his closet for the last 8 years with flat tires and before that it was used maybe a dozen times until he basically shelved his interest in the whole thing. He offered me the original bill of sale and registration with the rcmp as well which I thought was pretty amazing recordkeeping on his part.
To him it more than just a bike, it was his entrance into biking, and therefore he was sentimental about letting it go and it took some time for him to decide. I didn't push him though, not once. He really just wanted it to go to a good home. He also wants to see it from time to time so this ones not getting sold out of respect for his wishes. And really, I would never sell it anyway ;)

So here's a pic or two for you guys. Let me know what you think and if you would like any other close up shots.
Thanks for reading my blurb :)

_Shaun

p5pb12402202.jpg

p5pb12402206.jpg

p5pb12402204.jpg

And I also wanted to mention. The headset was so sticky and tight I though it was gone.
I pulled it apart to find everything in immaculate condition as it was sealed in petrified grease varnish like glue! it was hilarious. So I soaked it all in solvent and re-greased it and its like brand new, wow! it rides like new.
And those tires are noisy! I might take them off, we'll see.
Anyway enjoy:)

Re:

hi
welcome to the forum.
another west coast Canadian I see.
lots of us on here.
that is a beauty you have there.
the prime examples we all look for.

lovely Explosif - great find and in extremly nice nick :)

does it have the groved downtube ? cant tell from the pics.

Did it come with the P2 fork from new ? - over here it was more common that the 94 Explosif was originally equipped with a Marzocchi fork.

magas":1n5rmi2k said:
lovely Explosif - great find and in extremly nice nick :)

does it have the groved downtube ? cant tell from the pics.

Did it come with the P2 fork from new ? - over here it was more common that the 94 Explosif was originally equipped with a Marzocchi fork.

I spy a groove or two. Proper nice bike!

Looks proper tidy :)
Are you going to let him ride it for lets say 15mins for each visit?
Is he going to help pay towards maintenance?

magas":3vbvnrso said:

Most models had an option for the P2 or Marzocchi at that time.

That is a great find and in such great shape! My first good MTB was a Kona from that era, someday it will get restored.

Re:

Thanks for the compliments guys! It's neat to know I'm not alone in this game :)

It did come with the P2 fork from new. Apparently you had a choice when you bought it.

Here is a quick snap of the downtube. it's pretty Rad actually and more like a square wave around the circumference.

p5pb12402205.jpg

cheers :)

It is great find!

May I suggest giving it a go with polishing compound just to bring out some bling?

Back