2006 Klein Attitude 650B Conversion - Not Retro, but Retro

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
By date this belongs in the 97+ section, but it is built in the spirit of a retrobike so perhaps it will be more well received here.

I picked up a NOS 2006 Klein Attitude a year and a bit back and set about the task of doing a throwback style 650B build. With Fat Chance reappearing what's old is new again. I wanted a throwback look with rigid forks and integrated bar/stem.

The actual fit of the wheels is usually the issue with conversions, but this frame has lots of clearance. The hold up was the blue paint match, which was very hard to find.

Waiting in the cassette, grips, and cables and it will be done ... Finally!

Frame: NOS Klein Attitude

Fork: Mosso

Headset: Chris King
Handlebar/stem: can't remember!
Grips: Easton

Brakes: Avid BB7
Brake Pads: Avid
Brake Cables: XTR
Brake Levers: Paul Love Levers

Shifters: XTR 953
Front Derailleur: XTR 960
Rear Derailleur: XTR 960
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: XT 770
Chain: XT
Cranks: XTR 960
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: XTR
Pedals: XT

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Velocity Blunt 650B
Hubs: XT 756
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Maxxis Crossmark 27.5 x 2.1

Saddle: Ti
Seatpost: Syncros
Seatpost Binder: Klein

Re:

dude that is RAD!

looks like you even specked it similar to the way klein always did (full xtr group, syncros post)...

Re: Re:

34henry3w":b8p16tr4 said:
dude that is RAD!

looks like you even specked it similar to the way klein always did (full xtr group, syncros post)...

Thanks!

That was the idea. The XTR 960 is the nicest group Shimano ever made in my opinion ... with the exception of those bubble shifters ... thus the 953 shifters and Paul levers. I debated running hydraulic discs, but nothing really had the right look. The BB7s are supposed to be pretty solid.

Re:

That looks awesome! Makes me want to 650b my rigid 26er.
Be prepared to get slagged off for BB7's though i got laughed at for suggesting them as a good alternative to hydraulic.
I think they are ace i have a 203mm front disc on my setup great power and modulation! :)

Re: Re:e

kyle888":3ktzjibd said:
Be prepared to get slagged off for BB7's though i got laughed at for suggesting them as a good alternative to hydraulic.
I think they are ace i have a 203mm front disc on my setup great power and modulation! :)

Brakes ? Who needs brakes they slow you down :D I have used both hydaulic and BB7's. 185mm on the front on BB7's. If people laughed about BB7's they are clueless.

Nice build. Very clean.

Re: Re:e

addicted":1bgqlj97 said:
kyle888":1bgqlj97 said:

Brakes ? Who needs brakes they slow you down :D I have used both hydaulic and BB7's. 185mm on the front on BB7's. If people laughed about BB7's they are clueless.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=327087

I think that looks awesome.

As for BB7s, I've owned various Hayes, Hope, loads of Shimano, Avid Elixir, Codes.....blah blah blah...... and my current brakes are BB7, and my riding is on the North Shore, Vancouver. If they are good enough for here, they are good enough for anywhere. The Deores on my other bike are decidedly under-powered in comparison, and the SLX that I took off before putting BB7s on (again....) kept dumping oil on to the rotors.

Re:

I have heard good things about the BB7s. This bike will likely head north to my cottage to ride some of the local trails. I sort of like the simplicity of the cable brakes ... they wont require too much in the way of tools if something goes out of tune. I have higher end hydraulics on my regular trail bike and I do not expect that sort of feel ... I just want something that stops well and I hear they do that :D

Re:

Hot and dusty! I just got back from the tropics and I think it woulda been a cooler ride there.

It rode better than expected. This was more a for the heck of it concept, but it's a good rider.

Pros:
- Fast and responsive.
- Climbs better than any bike I have ridden.
- Light front end is handy over obstacles
- Solid and lower CoG compared to my 29er. I really liked this ... Comfortable right away.

Cons:
- BB7s are a bit weaker than expected
- A little twitchy on downhills
- No getting lazy in the seat on climbs, front end will run on you.

All and all ... Very pleased with my little creation. I think if you rode and enjoy early 90s mtbs you'd like the feel of this. It's not like a 29er. You can really throw it around and it's a bit smoother over the bumps than a rigid 26er. It's not idiot proof either. A modern 29er doesn't require you to look at a line. This is forgiving, but you can't get a way with just hammering through and over anything without knowing what you are doing.

A guy asked me if "Klein was back making bikes again?"

jimi911":1pd9w38l said:
The actual fit of the wheels is usually the issue with conversions, but this frame has lots of clearance.

I like the idea, could you post up some pictures of the frame tyre clearance at the chainstays & seatstays please? what width rear tyre are you running?

Latest posts

Back