Merlin Titanium Frames......NOW 1993 BUILD THREAD

konasexthreerider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can you believe it, I've been looking for a Merlin frame specifically in size 17.5" centre-to-top and then two come along in the same week. Not knowing which one to go for I got both! Now I haven't got a clue which one to start off with?

Frames

1993 (definitely) Merlin Titanium exactly 1761 grams inc ti bb, ck headset and tune qr
2003 (I think) Merlin XLM exactly 1299 grams bare

Old or New?

No specific idea what to buy and which frame to build up first. I'm tempted to build the Merlin XLM up ultra modern and completely bypass the 2003 thing. With the Merlin Titanium I'm thinking XT 737 (chainset/cantilevers/mechs) and XT 739 (shifters/levers).

Forks

I'm struggling here. The '93 looks like a 390 a-c and with a 1" steerer I'm going to find it hard to find a suitable fork. I'm happy with either rigid or suspension so I welcome any thoughts on this.

The '03 is either a Pace RC31 job or a 80mm travel fork. I'm guessing the a-c will be around 440?

Decals

The '03 decals are looking a bit worn. Should I take them off and replace them? If so, how as they look baked on!

Builds

If anyone has any ideas please share them as I'm a bit stuck what to do!!!

EDIT - Decided to start on the 1993 build first.

EDIT 18.06.15 - XT 737 Shifters / Brakes, Cantilevers and Chainset received.

Cheers,

Andy

Attachments

• merlin1.jpg
    merlin1.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,344
  • merlin2.jpg
    merlin2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,345
  • merlin3.jpg
    merlin3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,344
  • merlin4.jpg
    merlin4.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,346
Re:

No choice : keep the 93.
2003 was litespeed made and not a real Merlin…

Re:

Don't be expecting the 2003 to be favourite here. Post the same question in the 98 section and you might get a different answer :D

Re:

Although I know nothing about ti frames, I do prefer the look of the '93 one.
What a dilemma, I feel your pain! :LOL:

Mike

Re: Merlin Titanium Frames......decisions, decisions......

I always dreamed of owning of the early Merlins so this partly playing devils advocate.

Shame the 2003 doesn't have v-brake mounts - as I'd definitely go with that if so.

It partly depends on what you're used to riding, budget, how you plan to use it, and fit. Personally, my back now complains about an all day ride with my ass in the air on a retro ride. Actually it always did come to think about it.

I think you will have more choice with the newer frame. I recently "swapped" an old very well respected titanium frame for a more modern, but still the same size, titanium bike (but still fairly retro in it's sensibilities - v-brakes/rigid forks) - and found it a much better ride/fit for me.

Re: Re:

raidan73":3dxur14p said:
Don't be expecting the 2003 to be favourite here. Post the same question in the 98 section and you might get a different answer :D

You're right :mrgreen:

The only gripe I've got with the '93 is the cantilever hanger. I hate cantilevers! Maybe it's because I'm rubbish at setting them up. V-brakes I'm fine with.

However, I hate the look of unused cantilever mounts so I've got not choice but to go that way.

One question....Pace Suspension forks or Rigid forks?

I prefer rigid but Antstark and Minifreak have both got nice Merlin's with Pace forks if you want to check out their builds

Back