Circa 1990ish Raleigh Marauder 18 speed..advice please?

Sirbendy

Retro Newbie
Greeting all!

After far too many years, 2 children, 1 seperation and a move back to the parents, I've got round to clearing out years of..lets say clutter. And I've uncovered my much loved, and utterly forgotten Marauder, that's been sat outside since..ooh..I was 16ish. I'm 38.

The frame is solid but the paint is flaking, the tyres are shot and the rims show rust, but I know full well it had a full service back in 2008, when a family member intended to ride it but then bottled it.

As part of my coping with being single and filling the gap when I don't have my kids, I've decided to embark on fixing up the old bike..well, this one, 2 battered but salvageable Sovereign folders from a derelict building, and tidying up my 2000 Yamaha XPC26 Pedelec.

The marauder has a lot of shiny bits..the cranks, the rims, seat post etc..are these chromed? If so, any advice on restoring them? Or indeed the frame?

Many thanks..I know it's probably daft to embark on this idea, but..maybe one day I can hand them on to my kids..it's kind of sentimental, and at least it's better than sitting brooding! :)

Back