At last, she LIVES!! Kona Hei Hei

Kneedowndean

Retro Guru
I always wanted a Hei Hei since I started Mountain Biking back in 1993 but had to settle for a Kilauea(poor me!). The Kilauea was stolen from my uni halls 1996 , so bought Proflex Beast and rode that till about 2 years ago when I found this site.I've spent the last year looking for the perfect Hei Hei. It just so happened that on the Cannock Chase Retro bash I was speaking to Dave(missmyfat) and he said he knew somebody who was selling one just near my house. A deal was struck and eventually a mint 1994 Hei Hei came into my possession. The Proflex was quickly retired(packed into the loft never to be sold), bits sold or reused and what you see here is the result. Thanks to all who have helped me on here to realise my dream, I hope I didn’t forget anyone!

Frame: 1994 Kona Hei Hei 18”
Fork: Pace RC36 Pro Class EVO2 (ebay buy, serviced by justbackdated)
Headset: Chris King Gold (BNIB, almost went with a Chris King Ti!)
Stem: Syncros 110 Polished – Ti Gold Bolts (NOS, johnyboy666)
Handlebar: Syncros Pro Series (NOS, ebay)
Grips: Odi Attack
Barends: X Lite Pro Stubbies (NOS, ebay)

Brakes: M950 XTR (ex Proflex)
Brake Pads: Koolstop Dual Compound
Brake Cables: Goretex Ride On
Brake Levers: M950 XTR (ex Proflex)

Shifters: Gripshift Attack 8sp (ex Proflex)
Front Derailleur: M950 XTR (NOS, Ebay
)
Rear Derailleur: M950 XTR Short Cage (NOS, Ebay)
Derailleur Cables: Goretex Ride On
Cassette: M950 XTR Titanium (ex Proflex)
Chain: Rohloff
Cranks: Tune Fast Foot (BNIB)
Crank Bolts: Tune Titanium
Chainrings: Middleburn 22/32/44 Hardcote (ex Proflex)
Chainring bolts: Tune Gold
Bottom Bracket: Tune Sixpack Titanium
Pedals: XTR SPD (ex Proflex)

Hub Skewers: Tune Gold
Rims: Mavic X717 Ceramic(Front), XC517(Rear) (Johnyboy666)
Hubs: Pace 32 Hole(Front), Hope Ti 28 Hole(Rear) (Johnyboy666)
Nipples: Gold Aluminium
Spokes: DT Aerolite Black
Tyres: Michelin Wildgripper S 2.1 (NOS, Ebay)
Tubes: Air B Latex (ex Proflex)

Saddle: Flite TT
Seatpost: Syncros Titanium 27.0 (Vitorzip)
Seatpost Binder: Hope Gold (Tallpaul)

Weight: Approx. 22lbs
Ok, so some modern stuff on there but the Tune stuff really does have a retro feel, besides I have a distinct weight weenies side to me as well(all the parts have been weighed!). The majority of the bolts are gold anodised titanium. I cant decide on the bar ends yet, it so long since I've ridden a bike with them they look a bit strange on.

Also thanks to stevek for Hei Hei advice, Octsoc for the impossible to find bungs to allow me to fit bar ends to the Syncros bars, and most important of all justbackdated and Steve “Growler” Rowley for sorting me with the frame. This will be my main ride until I get a chance to build my Yeti ASR, its gonna be great to get back onto a hard tail again. Thanks all!!!

Attachments

• P1010422.JPG
    P1010422.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,424
  • P1010423.JPG
    P1010423.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,424
  • P1010420.JPG
    P1010420.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 2,424
  • P1010419.JPG
    P1010419.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 2,424
More Pics

More pics

Attachments

• P1010421.JPG
    P1010421.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,421
  • P1010424.JPG
    P1010424.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 2,419
  • P1010425.JPG
    P1010425.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,419
Thanks all. I'm still waiting on Tune Gold Skewers to arrive and really fancy a Gold Tune stem for it, but the cost is just silly. Mind you I dread to think what this lot has cost me already......

I ususally dont like Konas , but this one is one of the few I could live with .

dont like the green tyres though . some biscuits or white tyres would look better .

Gotta agree on the tyres, but having seen another Hei Hei with butterscotch i think black rubber is the way forward (for my Hei Hei too) - this is a shame as i have some lovely Psycho-K's.

Tyres are a minor quibble as the rest of the bike is spot on (no more gold needed) :cool:

Back