So i nearly gave up on the whole retro thing for a while….

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Then i was in need of a cheap commuter. So a '95 DBR Vertex TR came my way followed by a '91 Kona Lava Dome and next thing i know I've got all manners of bits and frames arriving at my door! Damn you Retrobike! You don't let go easily do you?!?!

Im sure you've heard this story before. I had the Kona Lava Dome and the brakes weren't up to much so i wanted new brakes. New brakes called for new levers. Hello NOS LX cants and 7 speed XT STi. So i thought what the hell i might as well get a new rear mech on it and i really like Deore DX stuff so……

Now Im looking at the frame and thinking that I've spent a wee bit of cash on this now (new cassette and seat post were bought when i first got the bike) and that maybe this stuff might be better on a better quality frame and then a Kilauea comes up on eBay for £50. Its not that far away from me. I could pick it up on my way back from Glentress one day. I've convinced myself that its a good buy. Frame bought. Job done. Eventually picked it up from the guy a few weeks later and it was in need of a respray but i knew that anyway.

So i started collecting a few more bits that i needed and collating them with the parts i already had and then i'm off to get it powder coated. I really couldn't be happier with how it turned out and i love the colour. I went for the '96 decals because i prefer them over the '93. I know the purple grips look stupid but theres a good reason behind them being on there and they're only temporary. So without any more waffling…..

Frame: 19" 1993 Kona Kilauea

Fork: Project 2 TB

Headset: LX
Stem: Velocity
Handlebar: Bontrager Race Titanium
Grips: Crazy purple ones
Barends: Titec

Brakes: LX
Brake Pads: LX
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: XT

Shifters: XT
Front Derailleur: DX
Rear Derailleur: DX
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: XT
Chain: ?
Cranks: DX
Crank Bolts: ?
Chainrings: DX
Chainring bolts: DX
Bottom Bracket: UN55
Pedals: Varies

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Mavic Energy M7CD
Hubs: DX
Nipples: ?
Spokes: ?
Tyres: Schwalbe Black Jacks
Tubes: ?

Saddle: Turbo Matic
Seatpost: Roox
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Attachments

• IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,069
Out for a wee shakedown ride today and everything is running well and then back home for a good clean. Only gripe is theres not a lot of clearance for the rear tyre with the 2.0 Black Jack in there but i've got a 1.8 enroute so that should sort out this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,065
Nice looking ride! Though that seat post hight is sure up there ;-).

How does that P2 fork ride? I am looking at getting one for a build and that is the only 1" steer mtb fork I can find.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

1988 Bridgestone MB1 / 1989 Rockhopper Comp / 1991 Trek 970 Singletrack /
1993 Brave Ti Racer / Proflex 555 / Proflex 856 / 1999 Trek 6000 /
2004 Gary Fisher Cake

Cheers bud i am really happy with it. As for the P2 its a superb fork. I cant say i've spent much time riding any other rigid forks as its always Konas i've had that but i'm sure you wont be dissappointed.

Cheers lads. Great got the 1.8 tyre on the rear now for a bit more clearance. Heading down the lakes in a few weeks time so i think this will be coming with me.

Back