Marin frame saved, and it only took 2 years!!

Bicycle Addict

Retro Guru
Hey guys,
I bought a frame on an auction site over here in NZ, it was said to be a Team Marin dating to '91-'92.
So I get it home and as always try to get the BB out . . . . 2 years later its out, this frame was nearly thrown away about 4 times, for some reason I kept it.
I used a longer pipe than usual and a shallower tool (Park BBT-32) and the adjuster cup(non drive side fixed cup actually) turned I could not believe my eyes :shock: :eek: :) :D :LOL:

So I have a 110MM UN-55 in there now after running the BB tap through the threads to clean more than anything else.
XT cranks you see in photo will go back on and XT Mechs and brakes shifters etc off of a rusty Stumpjumper Comp will go on(Stumpy will convert to drop bars) Stumpy will also give over XT 32 spoke front hub and I have a match in 36 hole for the rear.

Marin will probably run rigid for a while, I have a set of Rockstars off of a '92 Muirwoods with a stuck BB, I may then later go to Rockshox XC32. If I do this I will paint frame in Neon Green fully, as you see frame has been sprayed in Matt Black so original will cost that little bit more - yet if I take what was a original colour from the Team and go whole frame I think it will look real good. :cool: :cool:

Attachments

• 292952069.jpg
    292952069.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 640
Re:

Serial Number : A11AA0035 on the BB with A3 in one of the drop outs, according to a thread on here the 1 would indicate model being a Marin Team from 91? someone may be able to enlighten further.
One thing that I can not match with any photos online is the rear brake cable stop it is right behind the seat post and trianglular shaped rather than curved like most of the early 90's Marins.
It also does not have the Marin lite drop outs?

Any help would be great.

@tack4 Thanks for your response, I like your Bear Valley build.
Thought I would have had a coupla more responses considering the number of views.

Will figure out what fork to run and get a Ritchey headset to suit, can get em through work easy enough.
I then need to sort bars etc, when I have all that nutted out it should come together pretty quickly.

Back