khs montanna summit

ande

Retro Newbie
Been looking for a bike to start getting some regular exercise and because i still love old school bmx, i thought i would have a look for an old school mtb, i can't really go riding about on a bmx at my age but i can certainly ride a retro mtb, i have seen a khs montanna summit i like the look of and did a search on khs which led me here, here is a pic of it, how original would you say it is? does anyone do repro decals for these? Let me know what you think of it, cheers.

It's the one on UsedWalsall? Google is great ;-)

I couldn't tell you if all the components are original to the bike, I don't know what parts it would have been fitted with out of the factory, but you might be able to track the details down online, or someone else on here might know, from a quick search these bikes have been mentioned on Retrobike.co.uk before, so have a search around and see if you can find out.
Looks like it has some decent-ish parts though... LX drivetrain with Biopace chainrings, Deore thumbshifters?... probably dates it to early 1990's I would think??

Re:

true temper AVR tubing, 21 speed shimano deore LX gears, shimano thumbshifters, biopace chainset, dia compe canti's,Q/R 26inch weinmann 2719 wheels.

that spec list doesn't match up with any of the three on the valuation thingy though :?

Nice - KHS's were very well respected BITD and always did well in reviews and ride reports, for quality of ride and value for money.

cool, i only want it to try and get fit, i bought a cheapo catalogue bike a couple of years ago and it was that awful to ride that i just didn't bother with it, all the components are rubbish, i thought, for less than a new cheapy i could probably buy a decent quality retro, but since i have been looking at them it has got me interested in them, gotta be careful i don't start collecting them.

ande":1f8sr0mf said:
gotta be careful i don't start collecting them.

It's probably already too late for that! :LOL:

You're quite right though, a modern cheap bike is probably worse than a retro cheap bike, heavy, crappy suspension that packs up after a few months, cheap disc brakes etc.
That KHS though looks like a decent mid-level equipped retro bike, so it'll stand up to pretty much any abuse you can throw its way. It's lasted maybe 20 years already!

Back