Drop Bar Pace RC200

secret_squirrel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Managed to pick up an RC200F8 frame a good while back now - was in a pretty poor condition Ano was very worn, bad chain suck on the chain stay. Onle the plus side it came with a new Thompson Elite Seatpost and an XTR Front Mech. Also slightly too big for me for comfortable MTB'ing so road/cross inspired build seemed the way to go. First order of business was to tidy the frame up. After a few enquiries it seemed like powder coating was the way to go - so after a few enquiries it's off to ArmourTex in North London for some treatment.

I think they did a pretty good job :

A385A882-154E-4C07-80F5-8645F52DF4E2-5884-00000BFBE3EEAD45_zpsc4f56fe0.jpg

The chainsuck covered liberally in powdercoat :

ACC9B944-559B-42D0-890B-93FE09514358-5884-00000BFBF06D1380_zps045f8b52.jpg

If you look carefully at the light glare you can see the sparkle lacquer over the top of the red base coat.

Hang on, if it's too big, won't the top tube be too long, and top tubes on mtbs tend to be longer than comparable road bike top tubes..... what size stem you going to use?

Yes they are Onza HO pedal bodies. They are a bit marmitey but have always been my spud of choice.

It's only fractionally too big I like to ride 17" CTT and it's an 18" so the TT length shouldn't be unmanageable. I'm a little more concerned about getting the drops high enough to be completely comfortable, so will be putting a short high rise stem on. Starting with 80mm then going from there. I've got one of these for now, the ideal being It gives me some options and so can always change it when I'm more sure of what I need.
http://ritcheylogic.com/road/stems/adjustable-stem.html

The rest of the fitting kit is as follows :

a pair of modern-ish Deore disc hubbed 700c wheels using WTB SX24 cross rims.
A choice of Campy 10s or Sachs 8s grouppo's.

I have a New Success mini group that I have been saving for a rainy day - basically New Success Ergo's (actually made by campag but designed for Shimano pull ratios, Fromt and Rear mechs and Cranks.

Alternatively a ragbag of 10s Black Campag from the Road section. Early and fairly worn Chorus Ergo's, gorgeous Campag Centaur Rear Mech, Lumpy Mirage cranks and a chorus front mech.
http://chickencycles.co.uk/productimages/CPB125R.jpg

First fitting kit on.

gil_m decals.

new success rear mech, original XT mega 9 front mech, BB7 for road and cantilevers, some carbon cross forks, and an original Hope Sealed bearing headset.

Re:

This has a lot of potential, with the 700c wheels are you fitting 'cross tyres?

secret_squirrel":1o814jld said:
Yes they are Onza HO pedal bodies. They are a bit marmitey but have always been my spud of choice.

Mine too :D

The entire fleet is furnished with HO's in my house
Excellent light weight low tech pedal.

The AK47 to Shimano M16

Long time no post - have been riding this as a road bike for a year now including 2 sportif's. Ended up with a Campy 10sp gear train with a triple crank based on a pair of ATB (road compact) Middleburns. Has done itself proud and have got some interesting comments for those in the know retro-wise. This was it just back from last years Ride 100.

Latest posts

Back