1992 Trek 8000

JaEdBa

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon,

Recently bought back the first ever bike I owned... well, save for a Raleigh Mirage... a 92 Trek 8000.

There are a few bits I'm on the lookout for to make it more original, a matrix stem in black, and some flat black aluminium handlebars. also would like front and rear dx derailleurs and maybe xt thumbshifters.

I'm not in a hurry though as will be rebuilding to as original spec as possible.

Suspect someone else has done their best, as the 'original' parts are not original, just reasonably correct for the period.

Nice.....I saw that on the bay, and watched with interest......I had the 1991 version, same frame with rigid forks, and it was a very honest bike......enjoy!

Very nice!

I might have a matrix stem and DX mechs available. Will have a look in the shed if you're interested...

Re:

Would appreciate that, stem in particular as they're not exactly common.

The e bay listing did say the front mech needed some attention, it is the cable routing that is causing the issue, it should not go through the seat stays.

Likewise the forks are at best functional... Would prefer rigid as I'm not intending to go too far afield on this bike. does anyone know anything about these forks? I had mag 21s BITD and must admit I never much cared for them, they never had the same quality feel as pace forks. however I had a bit of a thing for matching the origin of parts even back then, and felt American bikes should have American forks...

feetabix":3gksj0jm said:
Nice.....I saw that on the bay, and watched with interest......I had the 1991 version, same frame with rigid forks, and it was a very honest bike......enjoy!

ah

the venerable quote of Feetabix "I had a Trek 8000 once, really nice bike....well until it went under a bus, it never rode the same after that!" :roll:

Never seen any pictures, but I've been assured it did happen ...on many occassions

Re:

Completed this project. Will post pictures when I work out how again, says they are too large a file straight off my phone.

Literally the only non original part (well saddle I went for a black turbo but very near) was the tyres, I think the chances of finding the matrix z axis tyres 25 years on are remote. They weren't great 25 years ago... settled on dart / smoke combo.

Lord knows how we used to race these, handlebar is standard at 22.5" and it feels awkward to say the least.

Pleased with it though, I had the wheels rebuilt which was the most significant cost.

Looking forward to seeing the pics and so glad to know those charge splashbacks have gone....

Re:

Managed some pretty poor pictures. Will take a few more another day

Attachments

• RenderedContent-A9A275B9-43EA-45EE-8BE5-C8A5F4317E22.JPG
    RenderedContent-A9A275B9-43EA-45EE-8BE5-C8A5F4317E22.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,804
  • RenderedContent-AA68D8F4-8750-4B60-A825-95571462745D.JPG
    RenderedContent-AA68D8F4-8750-4B60-A825-95571462745D.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,800
  • RenderedContent-DB99F722-6BC7-42F3-A3F9-47A3CEF0C4BF.JPG
    RenderedContent-DB99F722-6BC7-42F3-A3F9-47A3CEF0C4BF.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 1,802