1989 Roberts White Spider

scarymonster

Retro Newbie
Hi all, ended up here after searching for info on my old Roberts White Spider bike I had made for me back in 1989. I ordered it at a place called Cycle Systems in Harrow after riding a prototype they had there. I now know the prototype was the Roberts Stratos (as per thread by sinnerman).

I had the bike finished the same as the prototype in a red splatter on white background. On closer inspection the splatter is more of a pink but I never really thought much about that until I took it out of storage the other day for a good clean and ride around the block (after I'd pumped the tires up and checked it would not fall apart on me).

I've not rode a mountain bike for a few years now or any bike for that matter and in my grand old age of 49 the bike feels very fast, light and twitchy, but I don't remember that being an issue when I was younger. Weighing in at just over 12 stone I am still able to get on the bike though but perhaps only just with comfort.

It did go back to Roberts perhaps in the mid 90's for a service and new wheels I think. They had left the front CR decal off the frame which as I said in the Stratos thread has always bugged me a little. I can remember mentioning it to them but I think they said for some reason it could not be added at that time. Does it usually go on after the frame is sprayed and before it is fired to cure the paint? Anyway, it remained without.

I've still got the receipt somewhere and I think the cost at the time was somewhere between £1100 and £1200. I think they also came a lot more expensive than that at the time but still, it was a lot of money in 1989.

Back in the day I can remember reading the mountain biking magazines and seeing these little black and white adverts for the white spider and staring at it as though it was some mythical beast well out of reach.

it's had light to moderate use over the years and nothing like some of the examples of similar age I have seen. In fact when I stopped to chat to a neighbour the other day he thought I'd bought a new bike. :LOL:

Now I just have to figure out how to post the pictures. :facepalm:

Here we go... hopefully someone will enjoy seeing these pictures of what is probably yet another quite unique example.

Re:

Well that's a bit of alright :cool:

Lovely with the original fork and stem. I look forward to viewing the pics on the computer a bit later on.

Thanks for sharing

Very very lovely bike in great condition!
I really love the white with splatter, and those forks and stem...
Wy in earth did you put a Yo sticker on such a bike?? :LOL:

Oh that's Lovely, I especially love the light splatter of colour too.

A Rare sight these days, and especially in such lovely original condition too.

I know the Pete has a similar model with fork, im unsure of the tubing, mine is also the same an 89 model with matching fork, but differs in that it has two water bottle bosses and is a road tube 753, did you spec the Columbus Tubeset yourself..?

So nice to see an early model with the Columbus offroad at long last. I really cant get over the condition of it. Very very Cool.

(it really does inspire me to build mine I must say.)

:cool:

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Jamis Diablo":2yl418qk said:
Wy in earth did you put a Yo sticker on such a bike?? :LOL:

God only knows. :LOL: I'll attempt to get it off on the next wash. Hopefully it will peel straight off.

sinnerman":8s03hku3 said:
did you spec the Columbus Tubeset yourself..?

I can remember some discussions and agreement on the subject following the order being made but can't remember specifics. I was taking advice on what was best for my price point and for my remit of having a fast and light bike (and they certainly delivered on that). I can remember at the time, with friends having a go, they could not believe the fact they could peddle once and then travel just about around the whole estate without peddling again. :LOL:

I was bought up in the Camden and Hampstead area of NW London and this bike was very fast zipping around the streets, estates and heath.

Re:

Nothing much more to say than - Lovely.

Loving the paint. So subtle and really classy.

Makes me want to get mine repainted again :?

Back