Kona Kula 1996 - rest in pieces - KARMA DRAW IS UP!

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Version 4 of my daily 24 mile round-trip commute. After version 3 broke ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=322999 ) I was lucky enough to pick this up, the frame only, from ebay for a decent price. It's a 1996 Kula, 20". It's been well used but dent free, so perfect for the daily grime, bumps and scrapes it'll face between now and the day it fails. It will fail, all 3 before - all Cinder Cones in various guises - have. However, they are used 5 days a week and they are loved by me. They really are - they get me from A to B and everywhere else in-between.

This is the first time I've used an aluminium frame on the road. What a difference. I hate to say it, being a steel fan, but it's a preferable ride for this purpose. It's less responsive than steel but it really does soak up the bumps and because it's Easton - it's lighter than the double butted steel. That means more speed which is a good thing as it pushes me more.

This will be the last Kona MTB framed commuter I'll own. When it fails I'll invest in a <spit> road bike. The Kapu was a great back-up when the others failed or when I was servicing them. It proved that it's more suitable, even with the congestion and road conditions for road riding (no shit!). However, until then, this will grace South-East London for the next couple of years :)

W2vFNR.jpg

Some tips if you're thinking of or already commuting:

RC31's are excellent. Really light and a great alternative to P2's.
A nice big ring on the front = grow your thighs.
Shimano XT > SRAM X9/10. I used SRAM for more than 3 years, just because I wanted to give them a go. Sadly, it's shit. Rear mech's lasted less than a year (the spring would loose tension quickly). The trigger shifters just loose their lustre. Shimano for all it's faults is still the most reliable.
Hope BB's are top job. I used hollowtech on all the commuters to save weight. The standard XT one last less than 9 months so I took a punt with a more expensive Hope. 2 years on and it's still going! Super smooth.
CK headsets are bomb proof. This one is 7 years old. It's needed one service.
1.3 tyres are ace but a fucking nightmare to get on the rims!

Re: Kona Kula 1996 - the last b*stard

Frame: Kona Kula 20" Easton ProGram Elite double butted

Fork: Pace RC31

Headset: Chris King 1 1/8th no threadset
Stem: Tahoma Somme 4
Handlebar: Curve
Grips: ODI Yeti lock-ons (Van edition)

Brakes: Shimano XT BR-T780
Brake Cables: Shimano XT CABBC1
Brake Levers: Shimano XT BL-M740

Shifters: Shimano XT M770 (9 speed)
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M771
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M771 (9 speed)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano XT M770 (9 speed)
Chain: SRAM PC-951
Crankset: Shimano XT FC-M771 48-36-28
Bottom Bracket: Hope
Pedals: Shimano XT SPD M770

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT
Rims: Mavic XM317
Hubs: Shimano XT HB/FH-770
Tyres: Continental Gatorskin 26*1.25
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Selle Italia C2
Seatpost: USE Alien
Seatpost Binder: Kona dog collar

Weight: Sub 23lbs

Not after forking out for this - I'll let this take it's course. Thanks though!

How did you manage to break 3 mtb frames while, correct me if I'm wrong, using them as commuters?

E: I love these Konas and your would look awsome with some decent tires ;) Did you by any chance weigh bare frame?

Simple. 2 cracked on the rear hanger , 1 cracked on the seat-tube (really odd place - check out the CC 96 link).

Riding them 5 days a week, on really skinny, high pressured tyres, coupled with salty winters mean eventually they break. Even though they get properly cleaned and regularly serviced, there's only so much punishment they can take.

Have you considered protectig frame within with something?

Yeah, but frankly they'll go eventually - there're not garage queens after all. Plus it's an excuse to try new things when they do ;)

Back