Rocky Mountain Cirrus 1992 project

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Got this yesterday, picked up from a lovely part of Surrey right by the Thames. Must say she's in lovely retro patina. Mostly original, XT brake pads and original wheels have very little wear. Drivetrain looks all original and again has hardly any wear.

The seller had no idea what happened to the original post or saddle which is a shame.

Only unoriginal parts being fore mentioned saddle and seatpost, tyres, handle bar, stem, tyres and pedals.

Fortunately I have a stock of 2.1 tan wall smokes, it came with the original Syncros stem and handle bar and I have other retro parts more in keeping I can put on it.

It's a 20" frame so too big for me but should be a good project then I intend to sell.

Anyone know how to top the forks up with air? It has dials on both fork leg tops but no valve, is it underneath?

Anyway some pics :)

Bar and stem now swapped over and originals rightly back.

I've got a nice black alloy with silver head seatpost coming and a Turbi Matic saddle to put on, but if anyone has:

A 30.4 Syncros seatpost in black

A Rocky Mountain saddle going spare,

I'd be very interested :)

I have a wanted as up for a 30.4 Syncros seatpost in black and RM saddle, note hopeful re them so bought a nice black Kalloy post and Turbo Saddle (1996) to act as substitutes. These are the only deviation from catalogue spec now barr the non XT SPD pedals as she now has tan wall Smokes on. One is even NOS and the box was dated 1992 :)

I have the afternoon off work today so now all the parts are in place it's time to strip down, clean, regressed and rebuild. I love this bit ;)

Right, got this baby stripped down ready to give the individual bits some attention.

I love taking bikes apart and this one came apart very easily. It may have patina on the frame but no dents or cracks and the running gear, bearings etc show that this bike had seen very little use :)

Nice project! Always fancied a Cirrus. Is it just the sun in your first set of pictures or does the frame indeed look goldish in color? Kinda' like that...
Good luck with finding a Syncros 30.4 seat-post. Have you considered using a reducer shell and run a regular 27.2 seat-post? (plenty of those around).

Thanks Syncrosfan, I think the colour is just an age reaction of the lacquer but your right it's given it a lovely look. I certainly wouldn't remove, Polish and re lacquer.

Sadly she's too big for me so unless the right post turns up I'm going to leave it for the next owner to decide what to do about a Syncros post.
Your right there are plenty of 27.2's about but never the right age with the correct rear Hammer N Cycle logo. I do have one of these decals, would it be wrong to apply it to the post I've put on it ? ;)

Nearly finished cleaning everything, just brakes to go.

Anyone know how to access the valves to top up these forks?
I believe they have gone flat through age.

"Anyone know how to access the valves to top up these forks?"
Unscrew the little screws in the middle of the black dialed adjusters. There should be the rubber valve underneath. You will need one of them old school ball pump needles to put air in.

Back