'96 Cannondale M900

beauf

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all

Really got the bug now! :D

Time to recreate my Cannondale M900. Had one back in '96 but it was an XL frame that was just a tad big for me at 6'3". So I eventually gave it to my brother who is 6'6". The good news is he still has it in his shed, albeit with some dodgy bits on. Went for the M900 then as I wanted to put a Rock Shox Mag 21 on it (couldn't afford a judy) and upgraded to parallel pull XT v brakes. Here it is:

And here is the Large frame that is winging its way to me courtesy of Matt (aka twister):

So...all I need to do now is convince my brother to strip the good bits off his bike (XT brakes, P Bone fork, CODA bars etc) and we are getting somewhere. As I gave him the bike for nowt and he doesn't really care what it is this should be easy. ;)

Then we need to add these rather lovely but chain suck inducing 701M cranks. I quicky ditched these BITD but for garage/dry weather duty these will be great:

Will need a respray to match the fork and decals etc but I know the final destination:

I do have a question however, I can't work out what spindle length the bottom bracket needs...Any ideas? I know it is 68mm shell width.

Cheers, Beauf

Attachments

• m900.jpg
    m900.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2,753
  • M900 Frame.jpg
    M900 Frame.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,749
  • 701M.jpg
    701M.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2,751
  • 1996m900.jpg
    1996m900.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,753
Re:

Right...the bits are being assembled. We now have:

M739 shifters/levers, front and rear mech and cassette.

Still have the CODA stem

A VERY nice set of NOS nuke proof Ti hubs with yellow decals. :D :D :D

Still need to nick the forks and v brakes off my brother's M900, but not in too much of a hurry.

Now I am feeling the lure of a bit of hot-rodding. My question is how fat a set of tyres do you think I can get into the '96 M900 with P Bone forks. My reasoning is that a bit of added comfort from a tubeless fat tyre would be an appropriate compromise. 2.3 would be the limit of the rims i'm considering (Mavic 719s). Or can I fit a fatter tyre up front provided I can find a wider v brake compatible rim.

cheers all. Beauf :D

Re: cannondale resto

i think the nukeproof ti hubs will make for a great addition to this build. i am myself restoring an m800 beast of the east at the moment, think i was lucky enough to buy it last week for £50 minus wheels, i wont hijack your thread im yet to start mine with pics, im looking for somebody to replicate the decals.. if you havent found any yet i believe people are saying a person on here called gil m is the person to ask for cannondale decals

Oooh this looks nice. ( What HAS your bother put on it for a stem? is it one of those Fred Salmon Girder things? )
As for those cranks...*dribble* Very nice. Wouldn't use a set myself - ( I think they belong on 'Dales ) but oh my they are pretty. I am assuming from the looks of them that the rings are non replaceable?

You gonna build the wheels on to the hubs yourself?

Re:

Bit of a long silence on this one but now am very happy. :D :D :D

Was thinking about powder coat v's paint and came down in favour of paint. Did a bit of Googling and found, local to me, illusion race paint in Stoke Bruerne (Northamptonshire). Larry paints motor bike tanks and frames but happy to have a go at my M900. £200 for frame and forks all in. It is the charmingly named Rape Yellow...or Ducati/Nukeproof Yellow if you prefer. So not quite the Cannondale Speed Yellow...but it does look good!

Will update on the build as it progresses. having had a go at DIY headset installation I may have to get this done by someone who knows what they are doing and doesn't simply use a phone book and a mallet. heli tape is a must too.

Cheers

beauf

the results:

http://www.illusionracepaint.co.uk/

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2,164
  • fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,165
That is just lovely mate!
Please keep those p-bone forks on him! I believe you will like riding it so much that you will make it your daily rider :)

btw. why don't you make your own headset tool? Here you go, a link to how to do it: http://biketester.com/homemade-headset-press/

I have one myself and it works...

p-bones are definitely staying...am wondering what is the fattest tyre I can fit into it will be however.

Re:

Got to love amber wall Conti's. These will be the initial build tyres...but may see what I can fit in later. It is going to be vaguely hot-rodded. NOS Nuke proof titanium and new Mavic 719's

Attachments

• 20160226_102136 (2).jpg
    20160226_102136 (2).jpg
    190 KB · Views: 2,019
Back