1991 Yo Eddy

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Well, last week I finally dragged the Bonty I bought out of the box, and decided to measure it up before stripdown and repaint - turned out it was a 17", not 19" as advertised, and so just a little on the small side for me.

So, I did what any true gentleman would do, and passed it off onto my girlfriend!

A quick search through the auction watch turned up an XT-equipped 1991 Yo Eddy, and only in Brighton too - so after a few nail-biting moments as the auction closed, she's now mine!

fc_3.JPG

Will post up some new pics once she's at home and has spuds and proper tyres on.

Always lusted after Fat Chances when I was in my teens, but never even got close to one, let alone ride or own one!

A question though - would it be sacrilege to switch to an aheadset and put a set of Pace RC36s on? Could kind of use a bit of bounce in my old age (29 ;) )

The Bonty is just going to get build back up in the condition it's in, and hopefully my other half will be joining and posting pics of it once it's done.

Today, I am a happy man! :)

Great bike!

Looked at that too, bit big for me though :( If your GF gets bored of the Bonty though that's the perfect size!

Stu

noooooooooooooooooo...! you cant have Bonty, she's mine and I love her! (well, I will do once I have got all the missing bits together and actually built her into a proper bike.... )

Cant wait to see the Yo Eddy! in the metal - looking even more forward to getting out and about on them....

"A question though - would it be sacrilege to switch to an aheadset and put a set of Pace RC36s on? Could kind of use a bit of bounce in my old age (29 ) "

It is your bike mate (but the reason you're asking sugests you too got a bad feeling with it ;) )

I am 29 too, though that is not the reason why I bought a Verlicchi DH recently - my 1st FS bike :mrgreen:

Your Yo is pretty much like yo-eddy's. I got a Yo too, but it is Aquafade. My fork is the collour matching Judy it originally came with. You can view it here

- Melvin

That's a beauty mate, good find!

gradeAfailure":25nrhhd8 said:
A question though - would it be sacrilege to switch to an aheadset and put a set of Pace RC36s on? Could kind of use a bit of bounce in my old age (29 ;) )

Like Elev says, it's your bike, if you'll enjoy it more with sus forks stick some on :D That said I'm older than 29 and I ride my Yo with it's original rigid forks. Since you've got them it seems a shame not to at least try the bike with them...

Careful boys, don't fall off that fence you all are precariously balancing on! :roll:

Since no one else will take the leap, here goes... (sarcasm fully enabled)

Would it be sacrilage to put Pace bouncers on? Hell yes it would. In your own words you have looked forward to riding and owning a classic Fat and now you want to sully the experience, dare I say, the design vision of one of the most heralded rides in vintage mtb history? What's up with that?

Surely you are not sincere in playing the age card at only 29? As I am quite a bit older, I can empathize with you wanting more comfort so your brittle bones do not suffer. If that's the case, I'll be glad to hook you up with a few extra comfy cushions to lay about the house on and you can send me the Fat so it can be ridden ridgid, hard, and balls out like it was intended to be. :p

As I like to tell my riding buddies...buck up or shut the f@ck up :twisted:

(end of rant)

The previous commentary not withstanding...enjoy the bike in any fashion/shape/style that you want, it's all about having fun. :D

cheers,

rody

ps - rip off those V brakes and put on some real, weak, downhill fear inducing cantilever brakes...if you're man enough :cool:

Nice ride gradeAfailure! Was following the bidding on that one..

Lookin forward to seeing you put your own personal touch to it..

That black is awesome eh.. reminds me of a black Yeti FRO I saw once.. Awesome..

886staabi_fro25092002.jpg

rody, yeah, the age card was a little tongue in cheek...! I know I'm onle a mere whippersnapper really... :LOL:

Have pretty much decided to keep it fully rigid, though I will be hopefully swapping the stem out for a period Salsa or Syncros, and changing the V-brakes back to a pair of decent cantis. Just need to source some period bar ends as well, a Mavic 231 for the rear and some ti bolts and skewers and she'll be getting hammered round the local trails!

Latest posts

Back